SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Sony XDCAM, XAVC flavors and FCPX compatibility?

COW Forums : Sony Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Kavanagh
Re: Sony XDCAM, XAVC flavors and FCPX compatibility?
on Jan 16, 2015 at 6:33:18 pm

I just started using the Sony A7s, which also uses XAVC format. I installed the plugin from Sony (PDZK-LT2_1.2.1) and I started trying to bring the files. I also saw some third party workflow where you convert everything to quicktime using the "Sony XAVC Converter for Mac", I hated this idea because I don't want to waste more time and disk space than I have to. I used XDCam for a long time in the past and one of the things you can't do with XDCam is mess with the folder structure the camera creates on the card. But one of the things I noticed when working with Canon 60D was that when I maintained the card structure FCPX thought that the folder, even when located on a hard drive, was a card in a camera and force itself to make "optimized media". I'm not a fan of this because like I said I want to save disk space and time. So with the Canon I figured out that if I break the card's folder structure by renaming the folders "xDICM" instead of "DICM", nothing fancy, FCPX no longer thinks the folder is a card and I can "leave in place" the files instead of transcoding. I thought I'd give this a try with the card structure of the Sony A7s, and this actually worked great as far as I can tell. The files work fine in FCPX (10.1.3 and 10.1.4), and I don't have to bother with transcoding anything. On the card there are lots of other folders and files, including an ".XML" file accompanying each ".MP4" file, but I just ignore (but maintain separately) all that and put the video (.MP4) files into a separate folder. I did it on my first project with the Sony A7s and it worked perfectly fine. If anyone knows of any unintended consequences this may cause I'd like to know. Also, does the F55 card have the same folder structure as the Sony A7s, since they are both XAVC? If they do maybe you should try what I'm doing.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]