SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: new to EX format questions

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Wilson
Re: new to EX format questions
on Nov 27, 2011 at 7:11:24 pm

Depends on your needs...

The Mobile storage unit is for off loading your SxS cards while still in the field. IMO, it's overpriced. For that amount of money, you might as well get an older MacBook Pro from ebay that still has the express34 slot and you get the same functionality as the mobile storage unit but with a laptop for field editing, viewing, backing up to optical, etc...

The Hard-Disk recorder is good if you need lots of storage while in the field for long recordings. While you can hot-swap SxS cards continually for as long as you have cards, I've found that importing clips that are spanned across multiple cards works but I've found that it helps to have all the BPAV folders mounted at the same time works best. That means copying them to your computer and then doing the import.

The external USB reader/writer is handy if you don't have access to the camera in the editing bay. If you do, you can just plug the camera into the USB port and import that way. You can even import 2 cards at a time by plugging in the camera. If you have the camera handy, there's no reason for the reader/writer.

All these options record at the same quality level. If you've got the money and best quality is important, I would look at a AJA kipro mini. That allows you to record to ProRes422 and is no less intrusive than your other outboard options... but costs a little more.

I have 2 16 gig cards and a bunch of 8 gig cards which you can find used on ebay pretty cheap sometimes. I like the 8gig size since I can archive to DL optical. I do lots of short form work so it's pretty rare I need to off-load in the field. Still, I have enough cards to go non-stop for 5 hours.

I've been shooting on SsS on an EX-1 for 3 years and it's been rock solid. Never lost a clip or a frame (knocking on wood).

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]