SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: How to get from BPAV/MPEG4 into final cut pro

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Wilson
Re: How to get from BPAV/MPEG4 into final cut pro
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:12:51 pm

I've been doing some testing to solve another problem I have and now I realize a HUGE advantage to using the Log and Transfer window in FCP...

It's the only way to be able to Batch Re-capture your files after they go off-line.

I wish I had know about this when I first started (or figured it out when FCP finally added the L&T within FCP.)

If you use XDCAM Transfer to rewrap the mov files and your files go off-line, the batch capture option in FCP doesn't work.

If you use the L&T tool to ingest your footage, then you can Control-Click an off-line sequence and select Batch Capture and it will work just like tape.

Here's what I did for my test... Ingested all my footage directly from the card into FCP using L&T. Then I edited a test sequence using only 2 clips. Quit FCP. Made a copy of the card to a DVD-DL using the finder and then unmounted my camera. Deleted the media from my Capture Scratch folder. Started FCP. (Media Off-line warnings) Control-Click on the test sequence and selected Batch Capture. Then L&T window appears saying it can't find the original volume. I put the DVD backup in and as soon as it mounted, it captured only the media I used in my sequence. Very slick.

From now on, I'll just be using the L&T tool within FCP.

If I have an old project that's off-line, I bet I can use L&T to bring in all media. Then after that I'll be able to batch capture again in the future. So hopefully I haven't lost the ability to do this on ALL the footage I've brought in using XDCAM Transfer.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]