SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Add EX-3 or second EX-1?

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Stone
Re: Add EX-3 or second EX-1?
on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:17:21 am

I feel strongly David got it right in summary. This the big focus between the two. In terms of immediate benefit I would say interchangable lenses is a biggie and not just using expensive Fujinon or Sony lenses but you can also throw on 35mm lenses once you have the adapter. I'm not talking about Letus's and Brevis's with a 35mm lens in front but standard lenses with simple lens mount adapter. The only caveat is the lens focal length is multiplied 5.5 times so a 50mm Nikon lens effectively becomes a 550mm lens and so on. There are 2 places you can get the lens mount adapters from. Mike Tapa is the one that I used. The level of flexibility this adds is significant.

The quality of the EX3 viewfinder shouldn't be underplayed. You can buy the HoodPro "sock" device (which I use on my Z1) on the EX1 but in a production environment, if I had the choice I would go for the EX3 viewfinder, if I had it at my disposal.

Access to pro timecode/genlock factored into my purchase. I am not using it now but don't want to be put in a situation of loosing a good gig because my cam doesn't play nice with more expensive cameras in a shoot.

When you look at the cost of all the other gear surrounding the camera the difference in the price is moot (to me). The advantages of the EX3 are worth way more than the price difference and you already have an EX1 so if you need portability and a small cam to get on a plane you are set. You also have the cam that works with the less expensive Steadicam and the other goodies available. I would think the EX3 would be a good piece for your arsenal.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]