SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Upgrade HDR-FX1 for XDCAM EX

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: Upgrade HDR-FX1 for XDCAM EX
on Nov 23, 2007 at 7:07:42 am

[Pedro Ferreira] "will my neighbour competitor leave me eating dust in normal Lighting conditions?"

What are "normal" lighting conditions? There are SO MANY times when I shoot corporate or marketing videos where conditions prevent me from using a light kit in very low light situations. The EX1 will be the first small "hand held" size camera that can produce good video in low light. I sometimes have to shoot in dimly lit bars or restaurants. I've also shot corporate videos in testing labs where no light is permitted. Now if you're shooting in daylight or with a light kit all the time it's not as critical.

[Pedro Ferreira] "Files, and converting them to uncompressed 10 Bit, and am Very Very strict on final output quality, wich means most projects involve major surgery to achieve the best look possible. "

You'd likely get better quality shooting with an EX1 in 35mbps (instead of HDV 25mbps) and going to ProRes although 10 bit uncompressed is certainly ok. Of course in a studio situation the EX1 will give you 10 bit uncompressed straight out of SDI.

[Pedro Ferreira] "So, I need to record sometimes more than half an hour non-stop to edit next, and that cam's inability to record at least that kind of time makes me wonder If I am missing something or not"

Huh??? Two 8GB cards gives you 50 minutes and 2 16GB cards will give you 100 minutes at 35mbps or 140 minutes at 25mbps. In addition, if you bring a laptop you can record NON STOP since one card can record while the other offloads into the laptop. 50 minutes of video would take around 5 minutes to load into that laptop.

[Pedro Ferreira] "And CMOS are a MINUS for me...If they where as good as they say, F900 would have CMOS...or F23 too...you see... "

CMOS technology is being improved on. It's gone from 1 chip consumer cameras to small chip cameras like the Sony V1 and will eventually have the performance for 2/3" cameras. The Grass Valley Infinity is also using CMOS. Sony certainly will be developing higher end CMOS cameras too.

[Pedro Ferreira] "When I need to shoot anything worth it I go HDCAM or HDCAM SR (rented ) "

And certainly the F23 is a better camera than the EX1 if you have the budget. If you've limited yourself and your client base.

The Z1 can't shoot progressive, over crank, under crank 720p60 and with 1/3" chips it won't match the depth of field of the 12" chips on the EX1.

I'd STRONGLY recommend you read both the EX1 product literature and the many "first looks" that have been posted around the web.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]