SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Upgrade HDR-FX1 for XDCAM EX

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Don Greening
Re: Upgrade HDR-FX1 for XDCAM EX
on Nov 23, 2007 at 4:18:36 am

[Pedro Ferreira] "F900 would have CMOS...or F23 too...you see.."

I disagree. I've seen the picture from the EX firsthand and can say that CMOS technology is on par and in some respects better than its CCD bretheren, especially when it comes to contrast. The high end CCD cameras you mentioned continue to be CCD because they were designed from the ground up to use those chips. Changing those cameras over to CMOS and the supporting in-camera hardware/software would incur a huge expense for the manufacturer. Also, Sony has a new 1/2" CMOS chip, not a new 2/3" CMOS chip, which is what the cameras you mentioned require. Anything less would be unacceptable to the buyer. Besides, the EX uses the new EXMOR CMOS technology which wasn't around when cameras like the F900 were ready for production.

But of course, the question you initially asked was:

[Pedro Ferreira] "will my neighbour competitor leave me eating dust in normal Lighting conditions?"

The short answer is yes. The XMOR 1/2" CMOS imagers are (at least) 2 stops faster than the 1/3" CCD HDV imagers.

- Don

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]