FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Stupid question: Why do I need an Ultrastudio?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Stupid question: Why do I need an Ultrastudio?
on Mar 24, 2018 at 4:17:54 pm

You might not NEED one...but they do serve a purpose.
First caveat...you work in Premiere. I don't know how premiere handles I/O...I don't use Premiere.

If you worked in Avid or Resolve, or I would assume, if you had a broadcast monitor for Premiere, then you would need some sort of I/O device, whether it be a BM device, or a AJA device (excluding Resolve). In the end, these device provide professional output connections for professional equipment...namely SDI connections.

Now some of the ultrastudio devices do provide acceleration as well. the bigger Ultrastudio 4k extreme models will help with some of the heavy lifting in a edit environment, especially in 4k, as well as give you multiple outputs, timecode output, and multiple inputs, if you are capturing off a deck or camera to your system. Audio connections will also multiply greatly in number and type with some of these models.

If I edit on my laptop, I usually just run it naked, but my actual edit suite has never been without some form of I/O device, going back 20 some years. Currently I have both a Kona 3 and a BM 4k intensity pro card in my system. These essentially serve the same purpose that an utrastudio would. They feed my Flanders, my 4k monitor, my audio board, my hyperdeck recorder, and my waveforms....all at the same time, and in sync, with no stutter playback. Sure I have a VDA as well, but still, try doing that with only a built in HDMI out )

So do you NEED one? Clearly you don't, or your post would start with ..."my playback workflow sucks, would this help?" But for many of us, our typical setups would cease to exist without something like these devices.

Glenn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]