FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: SDI PAL progressive output looks bad

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Spano
Re: SDI PAL progressive output looks bad
on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:50:33 pm

Well it's clear that the second one looks better than the first in these images. But what are we looking at? I mean, I always need to view output material on a broadcast monitor to judge true quality. You say these are widescreen, so clearly now in these images there's been a conversion to full height anamorphic, presumably for your tape output. There's another avenue where distortion could take place that you wouldn't necessarily be able to judge unless you're looking at the tape output. The screenshots - are they of a 100% raster viewer window? I know that I can't judge anything accurately on my computer screen unless I'm looking at a 100% size viewer. And even then, the viewer is showing either a single field, or two fields blended, so that's no way to judge for interlacing effects. Both of these could look identical when played out to a CRT. So we're back to the question of proper workflow. You are rendering out of AE as what codec? AVI is a container, so what's inside? I would use either Animation codec (this is called Lossless) or straight to Apple ProRes. Thinking that it's a progressive animation, I'd render without fields, scaled to the output resolution (720x576, 25fps). Then you're making sure AE is handling any scaling involved, which is probably better than Premiere/FCP/MC. I'd import the video straight to a sequence that matches the codec/fps/field order of the source. That's really it. I don't see how it can get messed up in that workflow. The card will handle the interlacing to get it out to display/tape. But this will look identical to your progressive animation, so it won't matter that the output is interlaced as you won't see any interlacing lines. Note that I am not talking about the computer screen viewer, as I mentioned before, that is not reliable to judge for quality. Only the actual video output from the card is important. If it is still not to your satisfaction, then there may actually be something wrong with the hardware, and you may need to contact the manufacturer.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]