FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Construction Safety - Compliance Video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Construction Safety - Compliance Video
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:56:04 pm

When it's page after page of full-screen text with voiceover, reading the text to you, it's no longer really a video, and it doesn't effectively communicate. I call this "radio, with pictures". People do this because it's fast and easy, not because it's effective instructional design. I can tell when the users are just getting something in the can, cheaply, to check off a requirement, versus when they are making something to effectively communicate what they think is important. A PowerPoint deck should never be considered as a "script".

One thing I've developed over the years is a technique my clients seem to like, where I make a diptych image. that is, The text is generally in a panel on the right half of the screen, the speaker, in a panel on the left. These are not flat, but rotated to roughly 45-degree angles, so overall it looks a little like an opened book. I make the presenter's side one -third, and the text box two thirds, especially if it has way too much type on it. You don't need a template to make this happen; set it up once and then you can copy/paste attributes at any time along the timeline where you think you need that combo shot.

That shot is alternated with full- frame shots of the presenter and full-frame shots of the text pages. I alternate which is up, depending on what I'm trying to emphasize. Generally the text starts out full, then we go to the diptych when the presenter is making comments about what you just saw in full-frame. To punctuate an idea or convey an anecdote that reinforces the idea, that's the close up head shot full frame.

Something I used to do a lot of when making videos about filling out forms, was to blow the form up as big as a house using green screen, and literally have the presenter "walk you thru it".

What's nice about both ways of presenting is, your eye has the choice of where to go at any one moment: to the face, or to the text. This is just way less boring than making a viewer sit thru full screens of text with voiceover, because inevitably, you have read it faster than they have said it, and you have to sit around waiting for the next thing.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]