FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Multiple lapel lav mics & interference

COW Forums : Event Videographers

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Pulera
Re: Multiple lapel lav mics & interference
on Jan 17, 2017 at 3:40:42 pm

I have to stick up for Eric and say Peter, you don't need to be rude if someone uses methods you don't approve of. You're certainly entitled to your opinion as to why you believe one method might be better than another, but you can lose the pompous attitude.

I've been a wedding/event videographer for 20+ years, and pocket recorders are extremely commonplace, and reliable, for that market. I used to use a wireless mic on the groom for years and years, and I lost count of how many times I'd have clean audio (monitored via headphone) all the way up until the moment the vows are about to start, then the static would kick in! It was like Murphy's Law or something. And I cannot stop the ceremony to do anything at all about it, so being able to monitor MEANS NOTHING at that point. I had many, many vows recordings ruined due to wireless issues. And of course one has to make sure that their frequency will not interfere with one being used by the church, etc. Not to mention FCC spectrum changes a few years ago which makes my existing investment in wireless mics illegal/obsolete.

Many years ago, these little iRiver recorders came out, about the size of a pack of chewing gum. Took one AA battery and recorded to .mp3 format. It would record for many hours on one battery, so if using a new battery for each wedding, never going to run out of juice. Impossible for the battery to get "dislodged". And there is a REC LOCK switch, so that the wearer could not accidentally stop the recording once I had it set up and running. I typically put one unit on the groom, one on the minister and another on the podium for readings. I've never had such beautiful clean sound via wireless as I get with the cheap little iRiver units, using a specially wired lav from Giant Squid.

I have 3 of the iRiver units and none has ever failed me for any live event I recorded. PERFECT sound, clear of any interference. They unfortunately quit making those units like 10 or more years ago, but Zoom and the like has replaced them, though none are near as small!

To answer your question Eric, a wireless should have no effect on your recorder, I've never had any issue in that regard. Make sure everything is set up correctly, fresh battery, rec lock and should be good to go for success. Good advice from Mark.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Digital Vision

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]