Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Forum
searching for movie files...
searching for movie files...
by Nico Jones on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:19:18 pm

Hell there,

I'm sure this has been dealt with before but the search terms seem to be too vague for me to track down pertinent posts!

I've been working on a project and ended up using a couple of FCP quicktimes without the 'make self-contained' box ticked. A couple of these movies were re-imported into FCP.

Now the project is finished, I've rendered out my sequences and have deleted all of the original files, yet when I open FCP it's still searching for the missing files, saying 'The movie file "whatever" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly'. Standard message you get when you try and open a non self-contained FCP QT and the source file is missing.

Thing is, FCP isn't set up to open up my last project on startup - this problem is happening when I start the program up cold.

I've trashed the preferences with no luck. I don't understand why FCP is looking for these files before a project has even been opened. It's doing my head in.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

NJ

Re: searching for movie files...
by Fred Miller on Apr 18, 2008 at 4:09:15 pm

I would say a good rule of thumb is to avoid working with reference clips in FCP. I always make movies self-contained. That being said, is it possible to check the "forget files" box? I'm making the assumption that the dialogue you're getting is the same as when you have to reconnect media files for clips.

FCP Studio 2
Dual 3Gg Quad Core
5Gg RAM
KONA 2
OS 10.4.11

by Arnie Schlissel on Apr 18, 2008 at 5:10:28 pm

It sounds like these reference movies are missing some render files. If you deleted or re-rendered part of your timeline, this is very likely. And, no, there's no way to get them back.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

by david bogie on Apr 18, 2008 at 5:25:06 pm

> I've trashed the preferences with no luck. I don't understand why FCP is looking for these files before a project has even been opened. It's doing my head in.

You need to clear out the "open recent projects" cache. This might not help, doesn't always. But wait for the thing to get launched and then open and save ten simple projects. This will fill up your recent project list.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

© CreativeCOW.net