Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Forum
How many video tracks does EDL support?
How many video tracks does EDL support?
by Eric Brodeur on Mar 2, 2008 at 9:08:04 pm

WIth FCP 6.02 I'm noticing my EDL export only contains two video tracks although I have more than that number of video tracks with clips on them.

Is this a limitation of the EDL export or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks.

---
Mac OS X 10.5.1 / FCP 6.0.2 / QT 7.4
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz / 4 GB

Re: How many video tracks does EDL support?
by Dylan Reeve on Mar 2, 2008 at 9:47:11 pm

Most EDLs only support one video track.

Generally you export each track as a separate EDL.

Depending on why you are exporting the EDL it may also be important to collapse the edit down to as few tracks as possible (two or three is normally sufficient). If you were going to a linear online (people still do those) then having video on V1, that is covered by video on V2 that is covered by video on V3 is redundant, and will make things more complicated.

For most applications that require an EDL, you want the EDL to be as simple as possible.

by Mark Raudonis on Mar 2, 2008 at 9:49:34 pm

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, any EDL will only reference ONE VIDEO TRACK.

Most forms of EDLS can indicate a dissolve and some rudimentary FX, but since EDL's are based on a linear tape workflow, they don't reference "tracks" as much as Sources.

So, if you have a mulit track project that you must convert to an EDL, in my opinion, the best way is to create a separate EDL for EACH video track.

Do you absolutely, positively need an EDL? There are better ways to transport project info, like XML or Automatic Duck.

Mark

by Chuck Reti on Mar 2, 2008 at 9:54:20 pm

Consult your FCP manuals, printed, or PDF under the Help menu.
Vol 4 Chapter 10, "Importing and Exporting EDLs"

EDLs were used to transport information among linear editing systems. You can do a V1 track, (plus a V2 if a Key source). For tracks above V1 you have to export separate EDLs.

by Kris Anderson on Mar 3, 2008 at 12:30:56 am

Yep. One video track.

Unless you're one of those editors that just keeps stacking. God, I hate that. Anyway, if you're printing an EDL it must mean you're going to a non FCP environment, maybe a grade or online. Keep it as simple as possible. Remember also that you can only have 999 events in an EDL, so if you have more edits than that split it in half.

by Eric Brodeur on Mar 4, 2008 at 7:37:25 am

Thanks to everyone for clarifying (and elaborating on) my EDL question.

I'm actually trying to extract logging information from my timeline which led me to looking at the EDL export. Appears as if another forum topic is more appropriate than replying here.

---
Mac OS X 10.5.1 / FCP 6.0.2 / QT 7.4
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz / 4 GB

by Bob Flood on Mar 7, 2008 at 4:06:48 pm

Hi

what kind of logging?

One way to get clip info out of FCP in text form is to select all your clips in the sequence, and copy and paste them to an empty bin. delete all the transitions, slugs, and anythig else thats not pertinent and then you can export a batch file which has a ton of info, (except where each shot lies on your timeline!)

the batch file is a tab delimited text file which you can open in MS excel or any database program that allows text import.

hope this helps

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

© CreativeCOW.net