Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Forum
60fps footage inside 30 fps sequence in FCP 7
60fps footage inside 30 fps sequence in FCP 7
by raju bhai on Nov 11, 2019 at 11:14:04 pm

Hi, i'm using FCP7.

I have a 29.97 fps sequence. 90% of my footage was shot in 29.97 frame rate.
The other 10% of my footage is 60fps (like 59.90 fps). I have not dropped this footage into my timeline yet.

Wondering if i can keep it at 60, since 30 is divisible by 60.

Or if i u suggest that 60fps won't work in a 30 fps timeline, i'm williing to convert it down to 30 fps but i don't want to lose any frames in the 60fps footage.

NOTE: I DON"T NEED THE 60 fps FOOTAGE TO BE IN SYNC. So it's perfectly fine to have it play in slow-mo. in fact, that was the purpose of shooting in 60fps, so i could get more detail in the movement.

So, to sum up what i am asking, all other things being equal, is it OK to drop the 60 fps footage into the 30 fps timeline? And if not, Then when i convert this down to 30fps, is there a way to do it so that it retains all the frames (ie doesn't skip every other frame)?

Re: 60fps footage inside 30 fps sequence in FCP 7
by Shane Ross on Nov 11, 2019 at 11:32:42 pm

[raju bhai] "Wondering if i can keep it at 60, since 30 is divisible by 60."

No, sorry. Once you add it to the sequence, it adopts the sequence frame rate, so every other frame will be dropped, and it'll be 30fps. There is no NLE out there that allows multiple frame rates in the sequence. All adopt the frame rate of the project, or the sequence.

[raju bhai] "Or if i u suggest that 60fps won't work in a 30 fps timeline, i'm williing to convert it down to 30 fps but i don't want to lose any frames in the 60fps footage."

Not sure how you can convert 60 to 30 without losing any frames. MIGHT be a way to convert 60p to 59.94i (29.97 interlaced)...so that all the individual frames are now fields. Would bear testing in Compressor to see if that can be done.

[raju bhai] "NOTE: I DON"T NEED THE 60 fps FOOTAGE TO BE IN SYNC. So it's perfectly fine to have it play in slow-mo. in fact, that was the purpose of shooting in 60fps, so i could get more detail in the movement."

Ooooooooh. OK, so you don't mind if the 60fps is slow motion...got it. You'll need to duplicate the media, and then use CINEMA TOOLS to "conform" the frame rate to 29.97fps. Then import the clip into FCP. I say duplicate it, because what Cinema Tools does is destructive, meaning it alters the clip permantently, and it cannot be reversed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by raju bhai on Nov 12, 2019 at 12:01:36 am

awwww, cinema tools keeps crashing upon launching it :-(

by Shane Ross on Nov 12, 2019 at 12:39:51 am

If you are running an OS later than 10.9.5, it won't open. The last OS that the full studio was supported on was 10.6.8...as it was discontinued shortly thereafter. Every OS update after 10.6.8 will take you a step further from things working properly, as OS updates don't take outdated/discontinued software's functionality into account when being made. While they did work for many updates, most of the FCS 3 apps broke in 10.9.5, including Cinema Tools. This is why I have an older machine with 10.6.8 and the FCS 3 suite, so I can access older projects, and deal with clients who refuse to update.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by Mark Suszko on Nov 15, 2019 at 10:35:57 pm

He keeps it next to his Burroughs D82 and IMSAI 808, by the way... ☺

I kid, but only out of respect.

© CreativeCOW.net