Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Forum
Video with Alpha Channels
Video with Alpha Channels
by Greg Ball on Mar 10, 2017 at 8:47:27 pm

My graphic artist gave me several animations of an iPhone and iPad He gave them to me with alpha channels. I'm trying to key these over a matte background, and no matter what composite mode I try, I can't seem to get it to work. I still get a black background, and never get to the matte colored background I want.

Is there a suggestion on how to do this? What combo do I use in composite mode and alpha channel?

Thanks so much.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Re: Video with Alpha Channels
by Shane Ross on Mar 11, 2017 at 1:00:28 am

No mode...you KEY it. Luma key most likely. Actually, if this is a file with a built in alpha, it should just DO it. What codec is this? ProRes 4444 allows embedded alphas

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by Greg Ball on Mar 11, 2017 at 3:27:47 am

Hi Shane,

The video as given to me keys perfectly. But it's an .h264 with an animation codec. I'm editing this on a 720p prores sequence.

I tried converting the videos to prores444 but it didn't key. Thoughts?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

by Shane Ross on Mar 11, 2017 at 5:16:54 am

[Greg Ball] "But it's an .h264 with an animation codec. "

Sorry, that makes no sense. H.264 is a codec...Animation is a codec. It can be a MOV with the Animation codec.

[Greg Ball] "The video as given to me keys perfectly."

Wait....but I thought you said it doesn't key. You said:

[Greg Ball] "I'm trying to key these over a matte background, and no matter what composite mode I try, I can't seem to get it to work. I still get a black background, and never get to the matte colored background I want."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

© CreativeCOW.net