Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Forum
exporting still image from a QT movie
exporting still image from a QT movie
by Brian Lindstrom on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:39:43 pm

Dear Creative Cow:
A distributor has requested a still image from my documentary. The image needs to be 720x405 with an aspect ratio of 16:9. Is it possible to export a still from my QT.mov with those dimensions and aspect ratio? I know how to export using the export--movie to picture, but haven't been able to figure out how to get the desired dimension and aspect ratio.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Re: exporting still image from a QT movie
by Everest Mokaeff on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:41:57 am

What about Preview? May be Photoshop or whatever editor you prefer. 720x405 means cropped picture.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
www.mokaeff.com

by André Engelhardt on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:43:01 am

Hi Brian,

You already know how to get a still out of QT so do that then open the image in Preview. Go to "Tools" > "Adjust Size ..." and enter the dimensions of 720x405. This will NOT crop your picture (assuming you shot in 1.78:1 anyways).

Saying that it needs to be 720x405 and 16:9 is redundant as 720x405 is 16:9 / 1.78:1

That's all there's to it.

Good luck,

André

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
www.andreengelhardt.net

by Brian Lindstrom on Jul 13, 2011 at 5:32:05 pm

Thanks so much, Andre. When I go into Preview and pull down the tools menu, "Adjust Size" isn't an option. I tried searching the Preview help for "Adjust size" but nothing meaningful came up. Can you please tell me how to find the "Adjust Size" option?

I really appreciate your help.
Best,
Brian

by Dan Mansfield on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:09:21 am

"Adjust Size" should be there. Fourth one down from the top of Tools, below "Adjust Color." What OS are you working with?

If you don't have Photoshop (which can do this easily), try Gimp. It's a free Photoshop clone, http://www.gimp.org.

Dan Mansfield
Point7West
www.point7west.com

by Brian Lindstrom on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:14:26 am

You were right! I was using an older OS system that didn't have "Adjust Size" on its tool menu.
Thanks!

© CreativeCOW.net