HD2SD after FCP problem
by Malte Decker on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:52:58 am
First post and already asking for help. Oh man.
Anyways, here is my problem:
I edited a 3hr movie in FCP in Apple ProRes 422 and need to get it on DVD now. I've done a few testers using the HD2SD workflow and was quite impressed with the results so I wanted to use the same procedure for this project.
Unfortunately I failed to produce a working AVI file so far. Here is what I tried to do (which worked with small 5-10min test-files of the same movie (setting in and out-points in VirtualDub):
- export the .mov (ProRes 422)
- copy on a windows computer
- VirtualDub -> movie.avs (containing only "hd2sd("movie.mov")")
- Fast Recompress (tried "full processing mode" as well)
- compression: Lagarith -> Multi Threading, YV12
- save as "movie.avi"
It starts encoding and after roughly 8hrs the first half of the movie plays fine and looks great, then the video gets choppy and doesn't play at all. Wherever I click I just get a freeze-frame and nothing else. I thought it might be a playback issue with the big file so put it straight to HCEnc but the MPEG was the same. Tested playback in WMP, VLC and Quicktime.
I re-exported from FCP and tried to pick "ProRes 422" instead of "source codec" before export,
I tried "Fast Recompress" and "Full Processing mode" in VirtualDub
I tried "segmented AVI" which didn't produce any playable video at all
I tried Huffyuv codec with the same result as Lagarith
I rolled back the Lagarith version
I tried "YV12" and "RGB(Default)" options in Lagarith
I set up AviSynth and VirtualDub on my MacPro with the same result
I'm tempted to try to throw my comuters out of the window... ;-)
Thanks for reading so far, any input is appreciated I don't know what to try anymore.
Thanks and kind regards,
Re: HD2SD after FCP problem
by Malte Decker on Aug 4, 2014 at 12:02:26 pm
Well, after some more desperate efforts to try to get it going I think I finally came up with the solution (and no, it didn't involve me throwing my computers out of the window..).
I switched my input script to:
So basically loading the ProRes file first with the QT plugin from AviSynth and then calling the hd2sd. I didn't get the chance yet to make a comparison to the fail-safe file I've created just using compressor (after that long struggle I don't trust my video-files anymore...haha) but at least the complete movie plays fine now.
I hope this helps anyone who might be struggling with the same problem.