Apple OS X Forum
mac os extended journaled
mac os extended journaled
by johnsabbath d'urzo on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:19:40 pm

Just bout a Seagate Expansion Desktop drive 2TB. It's a USB 3.0 and it also works as a 2.0. I'm using a G5 PowerPC Quad Core. When I format the drive the drive disappears from the desk top, seams like it wont let me format it using extended journaled. When I format it using Ms-dos (fat) they formating works fine. But when I go to copy large files I get a error 0. Is this a problem with the drive? does anyone have this drive or would it be something with the OS 10.5.8?

Thanks for your help :)

Re: mac os extended journaled
by Craig Alan on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:44:23 pm

I would try two things.

Repair permissions.

Check if disc utility sees the drive (formatted as os extended). If it does, click the mount button. I find some times disc utility sees a drive I want to mount that finder does not. Works for un-mounting too.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

by Josh Parsley on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:34:54 pm

I'm not sure about the extended journaled problem but FAT has file size limitations. I imagine you're transferring files larger than it can handle. I don't know what FAT format you are using but if you look at that and google "FATXX file size limitations" (XX is the FAT you're using) it should tell you.

by Steve Modica on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:38:15 pm

open a terminal and run the following:

$ sudo tail -f /var/log/kernel.log

Try to partition the drive again as HFS/journaled. I'm guessing something useful will pop out on the terminal.
When done, hit control-C in the terminal and post the messages.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

© CreativeCOW.net