Apple OS X Forum
Permissions are funny things
Permissions are funny things
by Naveen Mallikarjuna on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:58:25 pm

So I'm trying to move a ton of files over from a PC to a new MacPro. Many of these files are Adobe After Effects files.

When I try to open the After Effects files (which were created on a PC), the MacPro won't open them. It says it can't read them. I tried dropping the file name extension. Same result.

I then copied a file and pasted it into a new location. OS X (Snow Leopard) tells me that

"You may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named "XXXXX.aep".

When I hit "Continue" the admin login info window pops up, I enter the info, and then, wah la!, After Effects will open the file.

I realized this is the permissions, so now if I go into the GetInfo for the file, I can change the permissions by adding myself and also changing "Everybody" to "Read & Write".

So the question now is, can I do this multiple files at once, or do I have to go into each file and reconfigure the permissions?

Re: Permissions are funny things
by Zane Barker on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:11:54 pm

Have all the files in the same folder, get info on the folder, set your permission and also select apply to enclosed items.

Hindsight is always 1080p

by Naveen Mallikarjuna on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:46:37 pm

Awesome. Worked as described. Thanks!

Naveen

by Peter Kennedy on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:10:38 pm

try to avoid switching permissions via Get Info...

use the command line...

here are some instructions:

http://brockwoolf.com/blog/change-file-permissions-using-terminal-in-mac-os-x

by Sacha Thomas on Jun 25, 2010 at 3:22:03 pm

nice link. very succinct refresher for those familiar with unix type permissions settings. thank you

© CreativeCOW.net