Apple OS X Forum
How to restrict a folder in MAC OS X?
How to restrict a folder in MAC OS X?
by Marcio Oliveira on Jun 1, 2005 at 2:16:33 pm

I have two HDs and I want to protect the files of the second one. I created some permissions and everything looks good. No other user can access my folder. The problem is - THEY CAN DELETE IT. This behavior is very wierd. How can I protect the folder from being deleted by other users?

Do I need to change the permissions of the trash or the second HD?

BTW my OS and all my users are in the first HD.

Re: How to restrict a folder in MAC OS X?
by Mark Sloan on Jun 2, 2005 at 11:12:47 pm

What version of OS X are you using?

by Marcio Oliveira on Jun 4, 2005 at 2:52:09 pm

I

by MitchJi on Jun 4, 2005 at 5:47:48 pm

Hi,

File permissions look like this (root-owner-group):
-rw-r--r--
-rwxr--r--
drw-r--r--

d is a directory, r is read, w is write, x is execute.

So if you want to protect a file from reading you remove the group r
So if you want to protect a file from writing or deletion you remove the group w

For directories if you want the directory not to be able to be deleted you remove the group w
I think that would also protect the files inside the directory but I'm not sure.
I think removing the r would mean that others could not view the contents of the directory

You can change the permissions with chmod (man chmod for help)

Best Wishes,

Mitch

by Marcio Oliveira on Jun 7, 2005 at 6:57:25 pm

Hi Mitch, thanks for answering my question. But i got to tell you: I didn't understand. I don't know how and where I should put these commands in. I know I'm asking too much, but can you give me a real example? Let's say I have this folder named "test" in the desktop of my second HD called "HD02". The user I'm working on is "Me". How do I use these commands (r-t-w-d-x) to restrict this folder from being deleted by other users?
Is chmod the only way?

Please, if you could help me again, I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

by Curtis Thompson on Jun 7, 2005 at 7:11:59 pm

hello...

not to jump in on mitch's thread, but you can do the chmod from the terminal - however, you can also ctrl-click (or right-click if you have a 2 button mouse) on the folder, select "get info" and control the permissions that way as well...

sitruc

© CreativeCOW.net