Avid Media Composer Forum
Resolve to AVID one way trip
Resolve to AVID one way trip
by Jon Hensen on May 10, 2020 at 9:30:19 pm

Hello,

I am requesting a few sequences from a third party who is using Resolve and am wondering what the cleanest methods of retrieving them for use in AVID are?

There's the AVID AAF method in the Delivery tab that seems promising. My preliminary tests are coming up with some mixed results though.

I know there are export settings to consider within that method to ensure a smooth process, just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience in doing this "one way trip" from Resolve to AVID.

Thanks!
-Jon

Re: Resolve to AVID one way trip
by Eric Santiago on May 11, 2020 at 11:54:19 am

From past and I mean early stages of the latest Avid iteration, you need to really dumb down your project.
I would avoid sources created in Resolve for starters.
My biggest beef audio. I had a nightmare of a time with a full feature and the audio would not transfer at all.
I had odd render/export times of weeks not hours and def not minutes :P
I have to dig up my notes as to what the cause was and most of my findings are all over CreativeCow in different stages of that project.
In the end, I used Pro Tools to help get it from its original edit form (FCPX).
Yea I know weird workflow, too long of a story.
I did my due diligence and tested the same footage straight from Resolve to Avid and the same results just to rule FCPX out of the mix.
Since my rantings here isnt helping much Id like to add that it was FCPX > XtoCC > Premiere Pro > Pro Tools AAF/OMF then Avid.
This was the audio portion of course.
Good luck with your project.

by Michael Phillips on May 11, 2020 at 1:17:51 pm

The Blackmagic User Manual has a section and a table describing which effects are supported with AAF - Roundtrip from MC via Resolve is a special workflow as Resolve just passes through the same AAF but points to new rendered media (nothing else changing).

In this scenario, the supported FX will give you an idea of what "might" be possible. I say "might" because standards interpretation still takes two parties to do everything correctly and AAF while quite descriptive can be a beast to properly support. The fact that it is a binary format doesn't help the end-user much as they can't see inside the file for any issues.

I will also say that picture only workflows work pretty well, I have never had great luck when audio has been added, especially with double system workflows. If all sources V+A are from the same camera, you have a better shot at success.

Michael

by Glenn Sakatch on May 11, 2020 at 10:29:14 pm

I would export at really high quality baked video file, and an edl or aaf for the timeline edit points,and get Avid to razor it up with the pan and scan tool. (i think its pan and scan?...haven't done it for a while)

Never tried aaf audio out of Resolve...not sure if it works yet or not...may need to do layered wave files.

Depends on the reasoning behind the request. (what do you need avid to do afterward Resolve has had it.)

Glenn

by Eric Santiago on May 15, 2020 at 12:30:28 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "Depends on the reasoning behind the request. (what do you need avid to do afterward Resolve has had it.)"

For me (sorry to butt in) the client is working in Avid and Resolve was the only tool that works for my issues.
The film was assembled in FCPX using Audio-Sync then exported as FCPX-XML to Resolve.
In this case, the client needed all audio and not picture.
I have an older post here regarding same project and it was a nightmare.
Long story short (recent issues), FCPX-XML > XtoCC > Premiere > AAF did not work in Avid.
The odd thing about that workflow, the files seem to be there but you can't click on them without a long pause. That's the tell if the recent AAF export isn't working.
So I did other routes using FCPX-XML > Resolve AAF export.
That one worked in Avid 2019.x by moving audio files into Avid MediaFiles then importing AAF.
I know this all sounds like a lot of work but it seems the be the norm with me since I have to work in all four NLEs (client dependent).

by Jon Hensen on Jun 5, 2020 at 8:21:53 pm

Ended up just having them create split tracks for audio to match a full res export. Not the most sophisticated but it beat the troubleshooting I was starting to get bogged down in.

For the record as is indicated, audio AAF out of Resolve does not seem viable.

© CreativeCOW.net