Avid Media Composer Forum
Avid the Nightmare....(New user Needs Assistance)
Avid the Nightmare....(New user Needs Assistance)
by Greg Burke on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:30:00 am

Okay So Im just starting avid, I've messed with it a good few hours tonight and I dont except to master it in a few hours but ...My god why does it make everything more diffcult then it has to be, Im just trying to A SIMPLE 6 Frame white flash but AVID is fighting me every step of the way, I cannot change colors its stuck to black, and BLack doesnt resolve fade into the next shot, it just fades to black on the first shot them JUMPS into the next one. Why isnt the Black Fade Carrying over?. Help anyone?

PS: Sorry Im a little wired been trying to figure this out for 2 hours...

I wear many hats.
www.gregburkepost.com

Re: Avid the Nightmare....(New user Needs Assistance)
by Hector berrebi on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:20:50 am

for white solid you can do one of the following

drag a 3d warp effect to empty space you left on the timeline in desired duration.
click the effect editor button
select the foreground and background categories, choose a white background and bring foreground to zero (in Avid foreground means in many cases transparency)

OR

go to title tool (not marquee, which is a million times better for titles but has some learning curve)
create a white square shape on the whole frame

save by closing window.

call it white solid or something

now you have a white clip in your bin you can use anywhere

there are probably other ways too...

as for the dissolve. dissolves in avid are much better handled than in FCP.

as a test, throw a couple of clips on the timeline, (leaving enough handles for transitions)
click the quick transition button

and the quick transition tool will show up

play with it a little, it offers many options including a-symmetrical dissolves (which is one of the things every avid editor who switched to FCP misses)

from what you describe your transition might be set as "ending on cut"

:) and put an end to your misery, get proper training... or at least a FCP to Avid book from Amazon

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

by Juris Eksts on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:21:12 am

Hi Greg.
Use 'dip to colour' change duration to 6frames, change colour to white.

by Hector berrebi on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:27:23 am

[Juris Eksts] "Use 'dip to colour' change duration to 6frames, change colour to white."

very true... :) i thought you wanted a white gap, but for flash "dip to color" could work alone just fine

you can find the dip option in the quick transition window
and change the color in effect editor

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

by Chris Conlee on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:26:42 pm

Greg,

I've been following your posts on the FCP X forum and think I warned you at one point to not try and make Avid behave like FCP. They're definitely two distinct animals. Having said that, I know your pain. I came to Avid from a slew of other PC and Amiga based systems, and it took me a good month to feel comfortable with it. Now it's completely second nature and I wouldn't cut with anything else.

The "why does it make things complicated" style comments most often indicate the depth of Avid's flexibility, which can be daunting at first. But there are nearly always quick ways to get a basic effect or technique accomplished. Just know, as a professional, when you want more it's always available under the hood.

To make an extended flash to white, build a white frame in title tool (or import an existing one from Photoshop or something) and then dissolve into and out of it, choosing your durations to fit your needs. Remember, and this is important, you have to leave enough media at the head and tail of any clip in order to do a transition. If you don't then Avid won't let you build your transition. Also, you can tell Avid to start the transition at the edit, end at the edit, or be centered upon the edit, or you can manually place the center of the transition anywhere you like. Flexibility.

If you just want a simply flash to white at an edit point then select "dip to color" as your transition and change the color to white with the picker. Choose your duration (I usually use 6 or 8 frames).

For flashy "exposure" changes, you can apply the color effect from the Image effect palette, and keyframe the White Level (you can find it under the Luma Control turn down). This works really great for Tony Scott-ish speed ramps and stuff where you want to emulate the exposure of film when undercranking a movie camera.

Don't get discouraged. And learn to let go of your FCP habits, because it will just hold you back.

Chris

by Greg Burke on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:26:16 pm

Hey Guys THanks.t, Its gonna take time to learn the UI I keep wanting to Double Click everything to change the specs on it and I need to get that habit out of my head. But IM following some of the tips here and I got the flash to work but it doesn't fade into the next shot, it just fades up to white then JUMPS into the next shot, Ive tired Center on cut, start on cut, end on cut and its all the same. ANy Ideas?

I wear many hats.
www.gregburkepost.com

by Chris Conlee on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:48:30 pm

Which transition have you selected from the dropdown menu? There is a specific transition called, Dip to Color which, when centered and changed to white, will do a fade to color / fade out of color transition.

Chris

by Juris Eksts on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:03:15 pm

Are you using fade to colour rather than dip to colour?

by Greg Burke on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:51:07 pm

Thanks everyone. I love this site. I figured it out. It a EFFECT but Im using the disslove tool. lol my bad, but thank you to all who all replied. I will master AVID!!!

I wear many hats.
www.gregburkepost.com

by grinner hester on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:03:32 am

Just pop a white frame on the timeline for 6 frames and transition as ya like.

by steve knattress on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:13:18 pm

As a PS to this having created a white "text frame" in your bin with the text tool( remember to deselect the underlying video (highlighted "V", to produce a full frame matte)

It is useful to save a black frame, for when you want some filler/pad on the end of the timeline, as "filler" itself ( from the source monitor drop down box) cannot be added on to the end!

Steve

by Ben Wilson on Jul 19, 2011 at 7:17:37 pm

And filler is actually nothing. nada. not even black. Just a blank space in the timeline...

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

by Kris Anderson on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:11:13 am

Blank space in the timeline.... that manifests itself as video black.

© CreativeCOW.net