Avid Media Composer Forum
Media Creation
Media Creation
by Zak Ray on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:11:06 pm

New to Avid-- is it possible to tell Media Composer to place it's media files in a place other than the root of the HD?

Thanks,
Zak

Re: Media Creation
by Scott Cumbo on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:51:49 pm

No, but thats the great thing about it, you don't have to keep
track of the media files. It's all in 1 place.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

by Zak Ray on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:57:37 pm

True, but I want to store media for separate projects in separate locations on my external. I suppose I could just partition the drive...

by Daniel Edelman on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:23:49 pm

One thing I do is "quarantine" the media. When you're done with a project, simply change the name of the folders.
Example:
"Avid MediaFiles" -change to- "ep_212_Avid MediaFiles"
"OMFI MediaFiles" -change to- "ep_212_OMFI MediaFiles"
What this does is it forces the next project to recreate the original folders (avid mediafiles and omfi mediafiles) and store the media there. It will still have to be at the root of the drive, but this method makes it much more organized. When you want to go back to an old project, just rename the folder back to it's original name.

The Goods: Avid MC 2.2.15 Adrenaline, Symphony Nitris 1.6.5, Unity 3.5. HP xw8200 turn-key computers. AJ-HD1400, 1200, HDW-1800, HDW-F500, DVW-A500

by Michael Hancock on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:31:05 am

Are you on a PC or Mac?

-------------------------------
I'll be working late.

by Zak Ray on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:46:15 am

Daniel: this is a great method, but doesn't do anything for working on multiple projects at once.
Michael: I'm on a Mac.

by Job ter Burg on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:12:45 am

Well, here's an idea:

As long as you use MXF files, your Avid MediaFiles folder will have a subfolder named "MXF", which has at least one subfolder named "1".

If you have a current project, and are starting a new one, you could simply rename the "1" folder to "PROJECTX.1". Media will be available, and all new media is created in a new folder named "1", which you could easily rename as well.

The downside is that - even though the Avid reads the folder - it won't be able to write to it nor rebuild databases and such. Also, your Avid will keep rendering and writing to folders "1" and "2'.

ALternatively, on Windows, you could use the subst command, which allows you to designate a certain folder and make it appear as a (virtual) drive. I couldn't find anything similar for Mac this quickly, but I suppose there should be either a Terminal command or some shareware utility that would allow you to create virtual drives.

And of course, there are applications like MediaMover, MediaSift, MacMediaSift and MDV, which allow you to filter Avid MediaFiles folders. That way, you can just work on, and separate out files later.

HTH

by Scott Cumbo on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:56:10 am

Here is a really great tool for sorting media...

http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/

It'll scan the media database and show you what media belongs to which project. through it you can move, delete, copy media.
it was writen by some russian guy, it's been around for awhile.

(oh, and it's safe to download and run)

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

by Candice Williamson on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:46:28 pm

Is there a link for a mac version on mdv? can't seem to find it.

Thanks

© CreativeCOW.net