Avid Media Composer Forum
Avid on P4
Avid on P4
by austin on Nov 23, 2006 at 11:22:36 pm

I just installed Avid Xpress Pro 5.0 on my new Intel Pentium 4 Duo computer. I'm running I954 Chipset and Radeon X1600 Graphic Card.

When I start the application and want to change the folder from where to start a project, nothing happens and eventually Avid hang up and I have to restart the app.

If I put the project into the folder that is set by default I get to start the project, but Avid acts all weird. It toggles between the windows by it self (like 10 times per second) and it open windows that is not set to open by default - like calibration, console and so on.

I get the following errors in the consol window (it doesn't write anything to the FatalErrors folder though):

OpenGL implementation found:
vendor = Brian Paul
renderer = Mesa OffScreen16
version = 1.5 Mesa 6.0
This OpenGL implementation does not support hardware texture render
maximum render dimensions: = 1920 x 540 at 8 bits per pixel channel

FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Component -> VIOCtrl_YGain
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Component -> VIOCtrl_Brightness
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Component -> VIOCtrl_RYandBYGain
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Component -> VIOCtrl_RYGain
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Component -> VIOCtrl_BYGain
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Composite -> VIOCtrl_Hue
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Composite -> VIOCtrl_Sat
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Composite -> VIOCtrl_Brightness
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Composite -> VIOCtrl_Contrast
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_Composite -> VIOCtrl_SignalLock
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_SVideo -> VIOCtrl_Hue
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_SVideo -> VIOCtrl_Sat
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_SVideo -> VIOCtrl_Brightness
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_SVideo -> VIOCtrl_Contrast
FAILED to Get Video IO Calibration Value for VIOCtrl_Input -> VIOCtrl_SVideo -> VIOCtrl_SignalLockIn Init ARO Cmds

What can this be? My computer won't ever support Avid, or is this some sort of setting that is wrong and can be fixed?

Re: Avid on P4
by Alex Alexzander on Nov 24, 2006 at 6:27:50 pm

Xpress Pro doesn't actually support the ATi cards. You should be using a Quadro FX card.

* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3500 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3450 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3400 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1500 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1400 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1300 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 560 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 550 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3000 AGP 8X
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1100 AGP 8X
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 500 AGP 8X

For notebooks, the following:

* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1500M
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 350M
* NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400
* ATI Mobility FireGL V5200*
* ATI Mobility Fire GL V5000*
* ATI Mobility Radeon X600*

A couple laptop ATI cards show certification, but virtually everyone I know that has used ATi cards has simply just removed them and replaced them with a certified Quadro FX card.

You could try using Legacy Overlay mode, but that might not work for you. You will also lose features when you use this mode. You could try it and see what you think. When launching the application, hold down the "L" and "O" keys until you see the first prompt. Then open the console and type: legacyoverlay on

Again, this might not help you,. and you may even have to turn off OpenGL 3D functions. That's holding down "O" and "G" and then using the console again and typing: disable3d

Just buy a Quadro FX 1500 or a 3450 and be done with it.

Lastly, as Bob suggested, you want to at least try to follow the HP as a guideline. I've built machines that run Avid perfectly, and I get to support myself, rather than depend on someone else to do it. I understand why you would want to do it yourself. Truly I do. But if you do choose to do this on your own, you should have gathered more information about what is certified before spending your money.

All specialized application will have a system requirement that needs to be followed. This is true of editing software, 3D software, music composition, and compositing software. Always always read their system requirements. Follow them all the way down to the IRQ and driver level.

Here is Avid's for Xpress Pro:

http://avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp

Good luck,

Alex

© CreativeCOW.net