Color Grading Forum
Color correction/white balance always required?
Color correction/white balance always required?
by Kay Singh on May 22, 2019 at 7:49:00 am

Hi All,

Ive always searched the web but have never found a clear cut answer to my question.

So basically, a lot of my footage is shot with a cooler (blueish) temperature to give a cold look to the shots. Now i always hear on the web you must color correct and white balance the footage first in post production then finally color grade. I like to go for the teal cold look to the final look. Therefore according to what i have read, that means i must balance the shot take out the blues etc first, then re -introduce the teal/blue look back in?

The way the shots look straight from the camera is part way there for my final look (Teal) i only adjust the contrasts and shadows etc..

Isit always required for me to correct the white balance/color correct a cool tone shot even tho i will introduce a teal look back into it?

Hope that makes sense,

I appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks.

Regards,

Kay.

Re: Color correction/white balance always required?
by Chris Wright on May 22, 2019 at 1:49:31 pm

you could leave it alone but it comes down to color contrast. you won't see teal as easily if you already have a bunch of blue in there. so essentially it will look more flat, especially the skin. I'd do a few tests to see what will 'work' as opposed to what you 'like'.

also, from a technical standpoint, if your shooting 8 bit, you need to nail white balance in camera to not get banding. you can always add a colder look after adding o/t(that's what I would do) as adding o/t after a wb change may be less color contrast.

by Kay Singh on May 23, 2019 at 1:04:50 pm

Hi Chris, I think my camera man has shot in 8bit. His kept the color temp cold in the shots that required it and it looks good. In post processing I plan to darken it down and add richness and green into blue footage to get a teal look.

Since you mentioned banding, this concerns me and something I want to avoid.

Currently We have been adjusting the color temp warm-cold for each shot in camera. I find this quite a confusing topic when it comes to camera or post processing settings.

by Chris Wright on May 29, 2019 at 4:51:31 am

you can 'grade' in camera quite heavily with lighting, but it leaves less room for changes in post. still, very possible to do it your way if you don't plan on white balancing before heavy grading. hope that makes sense. if it looks good, it is good, is my manta.

© CreativeCOW.net