Storage & Archiving Forum
wiring - license?
wiring - license?
by Eric Hansen on May 8, 2010 at 12:52:53 am

hey all

in my previous Ethernet SAN installations (and Xsan installations), i worked in facilities that had drop down ceilings. i just ran the wiring myself directly from system to system and made it look as clean as possible. but no real in-wall stuff and no terminations or wall plates. for my last Ethernet SAN install, it was a brand new building and the contractor told me that i would need a low voltage license to do the ethernet wiring. he said as a general rule, anything that would be considered permanent (in-wall runs, wall plates, etc; if the business moved the wiring would stay) would need a license. anything "temporary" like my drop down ceiling installs, would not. so for that last install i hired a local networking company to run the wires for me.

does anyone else here do this? has anyone else dealt with brand new buildings, codes and licensing? i'm looking at a new project that would be in a new build out, and based on how much the last networking guys charged, i could make a healthy profit doing it myself instead of hiring for it.

thanks

e

Eric Hansen - www.erichansen.tv

Re: wiring - license?
by Chris Blair on May 8, 2010 at 1:45:38 am

I don't know about new buildings, but when we bought our building we had lots of cabling run under floors (there's a basement underneath) and up through walls, with lots of wall plates and such installed. An IT company did for us but they didn't need a license. Likewise, we just re-did our conference room and ran some A/V and ethernet cabling through the walls and under the floor, with it all terminating to nice wall and floor plates. Again...no licenses needed here in Indiana.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
www.videomi.com
Read our blog www.videomi.com/blog

by Bob Zelin on May 8, 2010 at 12:54:17 pm

Oh, how I LOVE this stuff. It varies from state to state, and it varies from contractor to contractor (and most important - it varies from client to client) -

I work for ALL kinds of companies - and the only time I ever heard this nonsense (low voltage wiring contractor) was from Electronic Arts, but I shut up, and let the "low voltage contractor" run the cables in the ceilings, and I continue to get work from them.

BUT IT GETS BETTER. Now, I work for all kinds of companies, including NASA, Lockheed Martin, Disney, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement - you get the idea - a lot of bigger companies that might be "sensitive to anything", but are not. But within the last month, even though I have been working for the freelance for the last 10 years, Universal Studios NOW says that I have to have a contract with them, AND have 1 million dollars in liability insurance. So they had a simple problem with one of their FCP systems (a system that I was hired by them to install, and has been working for over a year), but now that there is a problem (with the AJA Kona LHi card), they will not allow me to go back in there to fix this simple problem, because I don't have State of Florida liability insurance. SO, how did this end ? I wound up "sneaking in" to Universal to fix the problem (for free, so as not to piss off AJA), and now, I will probably have to drop Universal as a client, because it is not financially worth it to me to have this insurance for just one client. If EVERYONE required this, then I would do it, but not for just one client - even if they are a huge company.

As for becoming a "licensed low voltage contractor" - come on. I have worked in TWO state schools running cable, and no one ever asked for this. It's one person torturing you. I got tortured too.

Maybe this was a post for the Business forum on Cow.

Bob Zelin

by Chris Blair on May 8, 2010 at 4:32:11 pm

I can add that if you hire electrical contractors to do electrical work, NONE of them agree on what's considered "up to code." You'll get conflicting and contradictory recommendations from every single one of them.

I think it's like any set of rules and regulations, people remember what they want to remember or they go by rules they learned 10 years ago. People also misunderstand and misinterpret stuff like this as well. But like Bob said, sounds like a crock to me to run ethernet cabling.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
www.videomi.com
Read our blog www.videomi.com/blog

by Neil Hurwitz on May 8, 2010 at 4:48:52 pm

I agree with Bob here, I have never heard of a "Low Voltage"
license, However I have heard about the requirement for Liability Insurance (the norm in NYC)and can reccomend that in today's environment that anyone doing any work in a third party location have it. One thing that I can say for sure, you will get Big Fines
and a Padlock on your door is the use of Non-Fire Redardant
cables in a drop ceiling.(if you get inspected)This is due to them being used as return air ducts for AC systems, so a little fire will spread smoke thru the facility. Here in NYC I once got fined 1,000.00 because the tags on my fire extingiusers were 2 months out of date.
Local Gov't needs your money and this is an easy harvest.

Neil Hurwitz

Re: wiring - license? - Wyoming law
by Bob Zelin on May 8, 2010 at 8:42:46 pm

http://wyofire.state.wy.us/pdf/Limited%20Low%20Voltage%20Technician%20Exam%20Application.pdf

My advice to you - subcontract for this one job.

Bob Zelin

by Eric Hansen on May 8, 2010 at 9:43:40 pm

thanks bob

yikes, 4000 hours of previous on-the-job training just to be able to take the exam??

i found a few forums that said the owner of the electrical company will have these licenses, but the individual workers usually don't. kinda like when i was a bartender - i didn't have to take the state-run alcohol certification class until i was a manager.

the job i'm looking at is in Denver. so i imagine the regs are more stringent than in WY.

anyone know a good networking company in Denver?

thanks

e

Eric Hansen - www.erichansen.tv

by Bob Zelin on May 8, 2010 at 11:54:02 pm

you dont' need a networking company. You need an electrical contractor, or a wiring installer. These companies know nothing about networking - just running cable, and securing it to the ceiling, and putting it into walls. These types of companies are the very people that get hired to run wires into sports arenas, shopping malls, hospitals, hotels, etc. They understand nothing about video systems, audio systems or computer networks - nor do they care. They run wires, and meet state code and regulations. Most networking companies (like office networking companies that setup Microsoft Server for office enviornments) will use a company like this to run their wires.

In Orlando, the big company is Cables and Technologies - I see their trucks all over the place. They are the ones that did Electronic Arts. Once the cables are in place, they leave.

Of course, I want the money (just like you), so for our small jobs, I do 99.99% of it myself (just like you).

Bob Zelin

Re: wiring - license? - The Law
by Kevin Christopher on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:05:32 pm

A low voltage license is required by almost every state that I know of. If you are doing any kind of job requiring any under floor, in the ceiling, or in the wall, piercing any surface requires a license to do it. (technically) I've seen inspectors come in and have every inch of wire pulled out and knock holes in sheetrock. There was even one inspector hear in Atlanta known for getting a hammer and bashing out the sidelite of the door and the glass on the door to chain the building shut. If they say permit, license, then just smile up your price and hire it out.

Bob - Autodesk once required me to get a 1 million dollar liability policy because I was contracting for them, and it cost me less than $300.00. Is Florida that much worse?

Kevin

© CreativeCOW.net