NAS - Network Attached Storage Forum
QNAP TVS-882 - 250W vs 450W
QNAP TVS-882 - 250W vs 450W
by Michael Greene on Jan 8, 2020 at 12:16:20 am

Hi there everyone,
First time posting here. Thank you for any help you can provide.
I'm working on a new post-production workflow for a small production company.
We have narrowed down the NAS we want to buy to the QNAP TVS-882-i5-16G.
(With four 7.86 TB Micron 5210 ION SSDs.)

I am wondering if it is worth the extra $300-ish in order to get the 450W power supply vs. the base level 250W.
What sort of a difference would this provide?
Do we need the boosted power supply?
I'm just trying to wrap my mind around what this means.

Also, should I buy the extra 10Gbe expansion port?
I assume this would go in the one of the slots on the top left of the rear side of the NAS.
(As far as I understand, all the other ports are only 5Gbe.)
Is it worth the extra upgrade?

Again, thank you for any help and opinions you all can give us!

Re: QNAP TVS-882 - 250W vs 450W
by Bob Zelin on Jan 8, 2020 at 2:50:36 pm

Hi Michael -
The larger power supply is if you wish to install a GPU card into one of the PCIe slots in the QNAP. This is for transcoding. You will not use this, so you can go with the default power supply.

This QNAP does not have 5GbE ports.
This is the page for the QNAP model you have mentioned -
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-882
these are four 1G ports. You will get a maximum speed of 100 MB/sec when connected to one of these 1G ports.
For professional video editing, you should without question be using a 10G card like the QNAP
QXG-10G1T, which is $89 inside this QNAP. This will give you dramatically faster performance.

With all of that said - you are making quite the assumption about the Micron ION SSD's. They are not supported by QNAP, and I certainly have never used them -
this is the supported SSD page -
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/?model=235&category=1

The largest supported SSD's are 4TB, from companies like Samsung (like the EVO 860 series).

In general, I would never recommend a 6 bay QNAP. You should always be using an 8 drive system, like a QNAP TVS-872XT (which already has the 10G port built in). You may say "well, the SSD's will be much faster than 7200 RPM SATA drives". This is true, but I cannot comment with experience on a 4 drive SSD system - and CERTAINLY not with the Micron SSD's which are not supported. I would hate to see you spend all this money, and have a non working product.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

by Michael Greene on Jan 10, 2020 at 2:23:38 am

Hi there Bob,
Thank you so much for your reply and valuable insight!
I have a few follow up thoughts and questions for you, if you would be so kind.

So the Micron SSDs are offered as an add-on SSD option for this NAS on qnapdirect.com.
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them, but based on your hesitation, I am now also hesitant!
I'm thinking we might end up going with 6 or so of the 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSDs.

Next, what concerns me about the TVS-872XT over the TVS-882 is the slower processor speed.
The 872XT does have a 6-core processor, but only at 1.7 GHz.
While the 882 has only a quad-core processor, but at the speed of 3.6GHz.
I honestly have no idea which one would be faster for multiple people trying to access the NAS at once.
Does that lower processor speed in the 872XT concern you at all?

Lastly, I spoke with a representative from QNAPdirect earlier today and then one from QNAP and I am hoping you can confirm what I have learned.
We essentially want this NAS to connect directly to multiple computers. (As in NOT connecting through a network and router, etc.)
For example, I want to use a Macbook or an iMac and connect it directly to the NAS in order to read and write files to the NAS. (And we potentially want to do this with up to 5 computers.)
As far as I have learned, you can do this fairly natively on Mac OS by mapping the IP address of the server. (Or by using a program like Qfinder Pro.)
But only Ethernet and Thunderbolt are capable of this sort of direct connection.
The USB 3.1 connections on the back of these NASs are only for connecting an external drive or expansion ports/accessories.
Can anyone tell me if all of that information is accurate?

by Bob Zelin on Jan 10, 2020 at 4:28:28 pm

Hi -
I will reply below -
I use the TVS-872XT all the time. It's the modern replacement for the TVS-871T, and it is certainly as powerful in performance as the TVS-1282T3, which I never use (Because the TS-1685 and the TS-1677X are the same price and more powerful).

You want 5 computers ? You get a switch, like a Netgear XS708T. You will be very unhappy with multiple computers with Thunderbolt 3. And even if you don't listen to me - you have a single 10G port and two thunderbolt 3 ports on the TVS-872XT. The other 2 ports are 1G. Exactly what are you planning to do - install a QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 dual port 10G card into the PCIe slot of the TVS-872XT for the other 2 connections to your computers ?

I don't know what the total aggregate bandwidth is for 6 or 8 SSD's in the TVS-872XT. With 7200 RPM SATA drives, you get about 1100 - 1200 MB/sec. With SSD's, I guess its greater, but I don't know when you will start your bottleneck in performance, when you are running 5 stations.

Yes, you cannot connect a computer via the USB port to the QNAP. That is for an external drive.

IF you decide to not get a switch (you are crazy to not get a switch), you put each computer on a different subnet -
so computer # 1 is 192.168.2.11 and that goes to a QNAP port at 192.168.2.3
computer # 2 is 192.168.3.11, and that goes to QNAP port at 192.168.3.3
etc.

I do this every day - this is what I do.
Let me know if you need help -

bobzelin@icloud.com

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

by Michael Greene on Jan 10, 2020 at 10:07:14 pm

Thank you so much, Bob!
That's really useful information and feedback.

Thank you for your expertise and for taking the time to write those responses up for me!

by Michael Greene on Jan 10, 2020 at 10:18:25 pm

Oh, and to answer your question, we were planning on getting either the QNAP QXG-10G1T Single-port expansion card or the QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 Dual-Port expansion card.
Even just the single-port one would give us 4 high speed connections and leave one two 1Gbe for less important or less time-sensitive tasks.

But I am also going to discuss the possibility of getting an ethernet switch with my team.

Thank you again!

by Bob Zelin on Jan 11, 2020 at 12:42:58 am

listen Michael -
I do this every day -
buy the switch. Make your life easy. We can LACP the two 10G ports to two of the ports on the Netgear XS708T switch, and you will have more than enough bandwidth.

And if you are REALLY nervous about having enough bandwidth, forget both the TVS-882 and the TVS-872XT. Get the TS-1685 or TS-1677X (first one is Intel Xeon, second one is AMD Ryzen).
Then you are home free, for the cost of 4 more drives.

bobzelin@icloud.com

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

by Michael Greene on Jan 11, 2020 at 1:02:59 am

Cost is a prohibiting factor in buying those two NASs you mention.
They add at least $1000 each and I'm already pushing the very outer limits of the allotted budget.

But I am proposing the switch to my team.
Do you see any issue with getting the 5-port Netgear XS505M?
And then connecting the fifth hypothetical computer to a Thunderbolt port?

by Bob Zelin on Jan 11, 2020 at 5:00:09 pm

The XS505M is a 4 port unmanaged switch. I strongly suggest if you don't have the $630 for the Netgear XS708T, that you get the less expensive 8 port QNAP QSW-1208-8C, which I believe is about $489. Also unmanaged, but it's 8 ports.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

© CreativeCOW.net