Apple Final Cut Pro X Forum
Remote editing
Remote editing
by Terry Barnum on Mar 12, 2020 at 5:02:37 pm

I got to thinking about worse case infection scenarios and our building needing to be vacated due to the virus. So last night I started playing with screen sharing and TeamViewer to at least be able to get to the FCPX editing systems. I was pleasantly surprised that the performance was pretty decent, though I know it's not going to be a long-term solution.

The problem is I can't get either one to pass the computer audio. Turns out this is a known and long-standing problem with TeamViewer. I tried using SoundFlower to re-route the audio but that didn't work either.

Has anyone got basic remote editing with audio working?

Gotta go wash my hands.

-Terry

-Terry

Re: Remote editing
by Oliver Peters on Mar 12, 2020 at 7:09:13 pm

How much media do you have to deal with. Can you simply take the media home?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

by Terry Barnum on Mar 12, 2020 at 7:25:32 pm

Hi Oliver. Yes, that's a possibility. It would mean transporting the NAS (many projects spanning >50TB) and some associated networking gear, but doable. I was hoping it would be possible to do certain FCPX things remotely--make small fixes, exports, encodes, etc. Not having audio puts a crimp in that.

-Terry

by Oliver Peters on Mar 12, 2020 at 7:37:29 pm

50TB. Piece of cake! ☺ I'm working out of a shop with several hundred TB that at any given time, we have to be able to get to.

The trouble with all current solutions is media size. There are some cloud-based solutions, but it involves using other software than FCPX and putting at least proxy-res files onto their systems. That's fine, but then how do you handle finishing and delivery?

To my knowledge, right now the only companies to offer remote editing solutions with native media are Avid and Adobe, which each require the appropriate infrastructure at some "home base" facility. And staffing to support that. There are also solutions from BeBop and Blackbird, but I'm a bit sketchy on the details for them.

Right now for FCPX, remote editing with another editor long-distance is easy through PostLab. But that's not remote control/access to your system across town.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

by Joe Marler on Mar 12, 2020 at 10:32:24 pm

[Terry Barnum] "last night I started playing with screen sharing and TeamViewer to at least be able to get to the FCPX editing systems. I was pleasantly surprised that the performance was pretty decent, though I know it's not going to be a long-term solution.

The problem is I can't get either one to pass the computer audio. Turns out this is a known and long-standing problem with TeamViewer. "

Recent versions of MacOS Messenger have remote screen sharing and remote control capability built in, however it has a similar limitation of not properly passing system audio. I think both systems must be on Mojave or later : https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/screen-sharing-icht11883/mac

I have done limited remote editing and it works OK, albeit sluggishly with no skimmer, sort of like Premiere ☺ I think it passes system audio but you don't have full control over the volume. It is OK for some cases but not for audio editing. It is very good for remote support where you don't want the person to install new software and you are not doing major editing.

© CreativeCOW.net