Apple Final Cut Pro X Forum
Should new raids be formatted with AFPS to take advantage of Mojave and beyond?
Should new raids be formatted with AFPS to take advantage of Mojave and beyond?
by Terry Flaxton on Jan 29, 2020 at 10:18:36 am

That's my question really: "Should new raids be formatted with AFPS to take advantage of Mojave and beyond?" So I've just updated my drive on a 5.1 tower to take Mojave but it stuck me that if the deal is supposed to be that Final Cut can now really work with APFS - is that true also for the storage media?

I have an OWC SSD in a pcie slot running the boot up and that's about 600mp read and write - but the new 4TB OWC also in a pcie slot will run about 2500 mb (it's 4 'discs' raided together).

I've noticed by formatting and doing speed tests that APFS is not as fast on a clean disc as mac journaled and drops about 50 mb... But it's not just about read and write speed is it for Mojave - it's about manipulation in FCP - or is that about a different thing in the processors?

Anyway - that's my question should my new storage be APFS for best use on Mojave and beyond to catalina if I then take that card out and use it in a Catalina based new mac?

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Re: Should new raids be formatted with AFPS to take advantage of Mojave and beyond?
by Joe Marler on Jan 29, 2020 at 1:00:46 pm

This was recently discussed in detail on the Mac Geek Gab podcast by the creator of Carbon Copy Cloner, Mike Bombich.

At 45 min into the podcast he discusses:

- APFS has some nice features like snapshots and file cloning. If you want that use APFS.
- If you want multiple volumes on a disk which can be flexibly re-sized, use APFS.
- There are still some periodic reports of APFS reliability and corruption issues.
- Only Disk Utility can repair APFS, no 3rd party utilities will work.
- For rotational disks, maybe stay with HFS+ a while longer.
- For rotational disks with significant performance requirements, esp. file enumeration, definitely stay with HFS+. IOW lots of files, browsing through and searching those with Finder. APFS does not perform nearly as well on rotational media as HFS+ does.

https://www.macobserver.com/podcasts/macgeekgab-796/

Re: Should new raids be formatted with AFPS to take advantage of Mojave and beyond?
by Terry Flaxton on Jan 29, 2020 at 6:46:51 pm

Thanks for the info....!

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

by Jeremy Garchow on Jan 29, 2020 at 11:45:49 pm

Here's a write up of it:

https://bombich.com/blog/2019/09/12/analysis-apfs-enumeration-performance-on-rotational-hard-drives

by Terry Flaxton on Jan 30, 2020 at 8:54:40 am

Well that's pretty bad news - one solution would be create a mojave or catalina boot volume on a small and therefore less expensive disk and then don't use it for anything else (which is what I'm doing at the moment). I bought an accelsior 4m2 which will do 6000 mb (apparently) in a new mac but only 1300 mb on my 5.1 tower but I'm using that for an FCP library and not using AFPS. I sought to extend the life of my old tower as it's served well but I guess I have to go for the new mac eventually.

I spoke to mac and they're calling it an obsolete machine... Steve Jobs will be rotating in his grave.

Anyone want to buy a mercedes droptop sports, a set of early DC comics including number one of daredevil and a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass from 1972? Outside the USA the kind of mac I need will amount to about $20k minimum (I run a lo tof 4k in layers). I'm now a stand alone maker of art with 40 years in the industry behind me - keeping up is getting harder ☺

Thanks for answering.

© CreativeCOW.net