Apple Final Cut Pro X Forum
X2Pro file size too large
X2Pro file size too large
by Glenn Payne on May 2, 2019 at 5:07:04 pm

I'm exporting an XML, sending to X2Pro and the AAF I get is 5.58 GB. It's a short film that's around 24 minutes.

I thought it was because I hadn't replaced the video in my timeline with grey slugs (placeholders), but doing that didn't affect the file size at all. Any thoughts?

I'm told the expected file size should be around 1 GB or smaller.

Thanks for any help!

Re: X2Pro file size too large
by Tangier Clarke on May 2, 2019 at 5:28:32 pm

For starters, in the X2Pro preferences make sure you have:

Discard disabled clips checked
Discard inactive clips checked
Adjusted the trim handles to the amount you want

Additionally, just to get an idea of how much your audio for your edit should take up, go through the process of exporting a master. However in the export window change you settings format to be "audio only" and then FCP X will show you the estimated file size for the audio of you cut. This will at least give you an idea of what the size should be around, but know that with X2Pro you're going to have handles which will increase the size as well as any preference changes that you make in X2Pro that could affect the size. This is a starting put to give you some frame of reference. If FCP X is telling you your audio is 1GB, and X2Pro gives you 6GB with very small handles then you know something is very wrong.

by Glenn Payne on May 2, 2019 at 5:39:45 pm

Thanks so much, Tangier.

I gave the audio only export a shot. That MP3 file is just 48 mb.

Discard disabled clips & Discard inactive clips were both selected before.
The trim handles are set to 5 seconds.

When I took out the video previously the file size didn't change at all, which I thought was odd.

by Glenn Payne on May 2, 2019 at 5:31:42 pm

Update: When unchecking the "trim embedded audio" the AAF grows to around 19 GB.

by Glenn Payne on May 2, 2019 at 5:41:44 pm

And for reference, the XML I'm making the AAF from (via X2Pro) is only 1.8 MB.

Thanks again for any advice!

by Tangier Clarke on May 2, 2019 at 5:56:56 pm

My mistake for not making things more clear. I didn't mean for you to export an audio file, but just go through the process of exporting right up until actually exporting so that you can get an estimate of the the size of the audio file FCP X will export. This will be shown in the bottom right of the export window and based on the format you chose for you audio (AIFF or your source format) and the duration of the timeline and/or clip you have selected on your timeline (storyline).

That being said, the mp3 is a small file and I wonder if you have a range selected on your storyline. I have storyline in front of me that''s barely 4 minted and if I were to export an MP3 of it, it'd be almost 8 Mb. Make sure that you have no ranges selected (or at least just the range of the storyline you want which I presume is the entire storyline) and go through the export process again; minus the exporting to see the estimated size.

by Glenn Payne on May 2, 2019 at 6:21:53 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I went back and double checked. No range was selected so the MP3 size would still be 47.7mb. I switched the option to WAV and the full file estimate is 429mb.

I keep trying various tests and ideas to see why the AAF is ending up at 5.58gb and no luck so far. :/

by Tangier Clarke on May 2, 2019 at 6:34:34 pm

Just for checking - go into the FCP X library package or go to wherever all of you audio is. Do a search in the Finder for "music" in that folder or folders and get info on all of the audio you have. I am starting to wonder to you even have 5.58 GB worth of audio files. I am stumped a little on this one.

I recently used X2Pro to deliver to ProTools for a feature film. I didn't have this problem.

It is possible that everything is working OK. For reference a 19 minute cut I am working on now:

FCP X Audio Only AIFF estimate = 325 MB
FCP X Audio Only AIFF with Roles as separate files (D,M, & E) estimate = 980 MB
X2Pro aaf from XML of this 19 minute cut = 1.75 GB
(X2Pro - discarded inactive and disabled clips, Convert non PCM to 16-bit, 10 sec. handles, sub-roles separate)

by Glenn Payne on May 2, 2019 at 6:47:28 pm

From looking at three audio folders for three days of filming they have 4.85gb, 13gb, and 13.11gb respectively. That's the on-set audio itself. Lots of poly wav files. 1-2 boom mics, 2 lavs, operator's mix for L and R channels.

Is it possible that the file is genuinely that large (5.58gb)? I completed a feature film of mine this last year with the same system and same re-recording mixer. It was a 90 minute film and the three reels I sent him (30ish minutes each) were all around 3gb each, so 9gb altogether.

This short film is must 24 minutes. We had a different sound mixer but both used poly wav files and had a comparable number of channels/tracks per file.

by Glenn Payne on May 3, 2019 at 2:25:21 am

Still trying to figure it out but I'm stumped. :/

by Tangier Clarke on May 3, 2019 at 3:01:18 am

I am stumped on this one as well. It's likely a very simple answer too.

by Glenn Payne on May 3, 2019 at 3:06:48 am

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking as well. I thought it was because I had the video in the timeline still. But when I removed it the file size stayed the same.

Thanks again for trying to help! Maybe someone else will stumble upon this thread and have some advice.

by Glenn Payne on May 8, 2019 at 2:22:04 am

Slight Update:

I went through the entire film and narrowed down the different roles. Ended up with 7 total. When I render out the AAf from the XML with just the roles I've chosen to use the AAF file barely shrinks. It goes from 5.58 to 5.45gb. ☹

Still not sure why it's so massive. Any other ideas from any of you guys?

Thanks for any guesses.

© CreativeCOW.net