Apple Final Cut Pro X Forum
Possible to copy favorites data from one clip to another?
Possible to copy favorites data from one clip to another?
by Julie Turner on Apr 12, 2019 at 6:35:50 pm

I have a clip on which I have already marked a high number of favorites. I have now found a higher resolution version of that same clip. Is it possible to copy the favorites data over? Or, alternatively, is there any way to export the timecode data for all those favorites? I can copy them all by hand from the browser and then find/select them on the highres clip, but I'm hoping there might be a less tedious path.

Re: Possible to copy favorites data from one clip to another?
by Doug Metz on Apr 12, 2019 at 7:42:07 pm

There is a way, but I'm not sure it's a good idea... the markers and ranges are associated with the container of the original clip in the browser. You can open the clip and add the high-res clip inside the low-res container as a connected clip, or replacing the original. The original container with ranges and markers will then simply 'be' the high-res.

1. Select the low res clip in the browser, and clear selected ranges (option X, or Mark menu / clear selected ranges)
2. Select 'Open Clip' from the Clip menu
3. Add the high-res clip - it'll need to be the same duration and frame rate so your ranges make sense. Overwrite to the primary storyline, or connect above and disable the low-res.

Again, I'm not sure this is a good idea. But it does work.

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

by Julie Turner on Apr 12, 2019 at 7:54:45 pm

Interesting! The first clip I looked at for this is at least the same frame rate and duration. So I went through your steps and at when I try to overwrite FCPx throws up a warning dialog that says "Are You Sure You Want to Edit the Contents of this Clip?" Will take a break before deciding if I'll try it ☺ Would be curious to know if anyone else has tried this before?

by Doug Metz on Apr 12, 2019 at 7:57:06 pm

That warning is normal, and that's why I went with the caveat. I tried it just before I posted.

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

by Julie Turner on Apr 12, 2019 at 9:46:48 pm

Just tried it myself. It all appears to go fine, and the clip (container)—when opened in the timeline—now shows the highres clip. But favorites from that clip as contained in my clip container as part of the main project didn't change to the high res file. However, it appears that if I copy the favorites back into the main project (from the clip I used your overwrite technique on) that those are the high res version. So in other words, this operation didn't update the clip container but it does give me close to that.

I'm not many of my others will have exact swapouts (same frame rate, etc...) but will see. Thanks!

by Joe Marler on Apr 13, 2019 at 7:22:10 pm

[Julie Turner] "...have a clip on which I have already marked a high number of favorites. I have now found a higher resolution version of that same clip. Is it possible to copy the favorites data over?"

You can export the clip XML for your rated/keyworded clip, delete the original clip from FCPX, rename the high-res clip to the same name, import it then load the clip XML. That should put all the metadata on that new high-res clip. It need not have the same file extension (.mov or .mp4) but I think the filename must match.

When loading the clip XML it gives you two options, replace or keep both. Either one will work.

If the clip is already used in a project you will probably have to replace that.

This is not a well-tested procedure and I only mention it FYI. Your library should be backed up on a file level before doing experiments like this.

by Jeremy Garchow on Apr 14, 2019 at 1:57:51 pm

Why not relink the low res clip to the high res clip?

by Joe Marler on Apr 14, 2019 at 7:59:36 pm

That is the best approach if they will relink. However there are lots of factors that may preclude that. FCPX is very picky about what it will relink.

by Doug Metz on Apr 15, 2019 at 3:56:18 pm

[Joe Marler] "That is the best approach if they will relink. However there are lots of factors that may preclude that. FCPX is very picky about what it will relink."

It's been quite some time since I tried relinking to something other than the original file... and hadn't given it serious consideration since then, due to my zero percent success rate on the first several attempts.

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

by Julie Turner on Apr 15, 2019 at 5:52:04 pm

Relinking to the higher res version worked perfectly! Just what I was hoping for, in that it preserved absolutely every bit of previous work. The test I just ran was on an ideal test case: I had a higher-res file whose specs identically matched the lower-res I'd been working from (frame rate, precise duration, etc.). However, with the last test I ran it wasn't so perfect (same frame rate but not identical duration) ... so not sure it would have worked for that one. Thanks everybody, you've saved me a ton of work!

by Julie Turner on Apr 15, 2019 at 5:55:33 pm

Well, I spoke too soon. It swapped in the right version, but my edits aren't aligning perfectly. It's as if all my edits are shifted about 15 frames or so. Still a huge improvement over redoing this segment, but wanted to mention it for others.

© CreativeCOW.net