Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates Forum
AVID Down But Not Out...
AVID Down But Not Out...
by Rich Rubasch on Mar 4, 2014 at 11:38:17 pm

Anyone attending prior to NAB?

http://app.info.avid.com/e/es.aspx?s=774&e=2728685&elq=4b9233e99f1b43d89e4b0ac121942d4b

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Re: AVID Down But Not Out...
by Scott Witthaus on Mar 5, 2014 at 12:02:37 am

Cough up the $350 in advance or the $500 and you too can give Avid advice!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

by Joseph W. Bourke on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:33:30 am

Yup...that's it in a nutshell. AVID always charged us an arm and a leg, even when they had to make service calls where the systems they configured weren't working as promised. And their training costs were so high that our engineering department (who admittedly were cheapskates - matter of fact, we called our Chief Engineer, the Cheap Engineer) would book a training session for three people, who were then expected to pass on their newly acquired knowledge to 8 or 10 more people. You can imagine how well that worked at a broadcast facility!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
www.bourkemedia.com

by Mark Raudonis on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:42:55 am

I remember going to one of the first of these kind of events... in 1992 in Orlando. It was called the "AVID user group" meeting, and yes, it cost money to attend.

I don't know why everyone expects everything to be "free". News flash! Things cost money. This is a two day event with meals, presentation rooms, speakers, etc. That stuff cost's money.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for their choice NOT to spend money... but please... stop with the "they're charging and therefore I'm not going". That says more about you than about AVID.

by Scott Witthaus on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:04:40 pm

Sorry Mark/Todd

The ACA IS an Avid customer group. The board was invited by Avid. This is purely an Avid sponsored initiative (I believe it came from the highest parts of Avid management).

Avid chose the executive board of the ACA (vast majority broadcast suits) and then is asking for Avid users to join to "gather ideas for the future of the industry". So, they want you to pay them to tell them what to do so you can buy more product from them. If that feels right to you, I got some ocean-front in Arizona for sale.

Avid has its Community Forums to draw on. Avid had an "influencers group" I was part of that had web conferences on new software, features and such. There are beta programs. There are plenty of ways for Avid to get information right now. Another layer and another "class" of customer will not make it more efficient.

Avid Connect is another story. If you want to pony up $300 to listen and see Avid Everywhere, more power to you. That's an outside function versus an inside organization.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

by Joseph W. Bourke on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:39:40 pm

Mark -

I don't see anywhere where people are expecting "everything" to be free. I pay for all of my software, plugins, training from Lynda.com, among others, and would expect to pay for any type of function/seminar in which I can walk away with actionable information which will help me in my professional or business development.

This event strikes me as a thinly veiled selling opportunity for sponsors of the event and AVID, especially when you take a look at the program overview and sponsorship packages:
http://www.avidcustomerassociation.com/downloads/avid_connect_sponsorship_12_19_13.pdf

I just don't buy that there's anything here to detain the tourist...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
www.bourkemedia.com

© CreativeCOW.net