Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates Forum
Buy Now or Hold on ...
Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Rich Rumppe on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:08:12 pm

I've been using a Mac Pro with a quicker graphics card to edit in FCP 10.
Works, but not great..I have a few problems with some third party plug ins.....I know I need to buy a new computer.
The big question is should I buy a nicely tricked out IMac now, or hold of for the new whiz bang MacPro of the future,(shipping later this year).

I'm primarily a shooter, not a full time editor... I edit 6 or 10 projects over the year, and my clients are usually patient, so render times and slower encoding times are not usually a problem. But I have to get something...

I know that other professionals video guys, like Phillip Bloom and Larry Jordan both have IMac systems.
If it's ok for them, why not me?

New IMac machine now, or spend another $1000, to $1500 for the new Mac Pro later.

Any suggestions or thoughts...

Rich Rumppe

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Marcus Moore on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:30:37 pm

If your primary job isn't editing, I'd find it hard to justify the cost of a MacPro. A topped out iMac is certainly no slouch. I've been using one as a stopgap for almost 2 years while waiting for this new MacPro- and I've not been disappointed- though I wish it had an SSD (definitely get that).

The only issue is that an iMac refresh is probably not too far away either.

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Nikolas Bäurle on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:37:30 pm

The iMac i7 works very well, I doubt you'll need more. But then its a question between need or want. The new Mac Pro will be much more than most of us need anyway, but many will still want one. And once you own one your needs might change.

If you can afford to I would wait. If your clients don't care about render times that much you should still be fine with your current setup.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by David Eaks on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:57:49 am

I agree with the others, and would recommend waiting to make a decision until the new Mac Pro is actually released. You say "but I have to get something", but do you? Your current setup is stable and making you money right?

Another option is to buy a maxed out iMac now, then sell it if you end up wanting the new Mac Pro. Taking the financial hit as "worth the convenience" of having the fast new system in the meantime. Or just keep the iMac because it's already meeting your needs. It doesn't sound like you are actually in a "need to buy now" situation.

I've been teetering on the edge of the same situation for a while, feeling the strong pull of "gear acquisition syndrome", but am doing just fine with the good old 2008 MP and just buying more storage, recording media and other gear that will be just as useful regardless of new Mac Pro or not.

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Bret Williams on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:19:15 am

[Rich Rumppe] "New IMac machine now, or spend another $1000, to $1500 for the new Mac Pro later."

I think the MacPro is going to cost in the $5k to 6K ramge or more. Along the lines of the pricing for the high end 12 core mac pro now.

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Mark Dobson on Jul 19, 2013 at 6:09:23 am

If I was you I would try and hold on to make your decision.

Nobody knows how much the new MacPro is going to cost. My own feeling is that the entry level machine will be abut the same price as a high spec iMac.

It's not in Apples interest to only sell a few top end machines, this will be their flagship computer for many years to come and they will want to penetrate the dwindling workstation market.

As you already have a MacPro, that means you already have an external monitor, which is something that people will need to factor in to the equation.

Like Larry Jordon I bought a 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 and installed 32Gbs of Ram. I chose the 1Tb Hybrid drive and it is fabulous, really fast. Overal it is a great computer and it runs FCPX like a knife through butter. The only problems I have now are what might be termed operator errors.

Either of the computers will be a huge step change for you because they will enable you to access fast Thunderbolt storage which is half the battle.

If I was still in your position, as I was 6 months ago, I would wait because the opportunity to get an extremely forward looking MacPro would be irresistible.
I've started saving up for the new machine already and will have to work out whether to hang on to my iMac, sell it, or pass it on to a member of my family.

FCPX is being updated to take advantage of this new computer and it will be be in your local Apple store in just a few months now.

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Bret Williams on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:07:09 pm

One would hope. But doesn't it seem like they'd have to lose a GPU, and perhaps use a lesser GPU, and likely lose the PCIE flash storage? And then, if it's only the price of a high-end iMac, you're still missing a $1000 27" monitor. Plus, the thing is being assembled in USA in relatively small quantities. No price breaks there.

I think, they don't want fragmentation. This machine is for all those clamoring for a truly "Pro" machine. They're not looking for it to be a profit center. I think we'll have to pay well for it if we want it.

Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Rich Rumppe on Jul 19, 2013 at 8:57:32 pm

Thanks everyone.... all good info to mull over.


Re: Buy Now or Hold on ...
by Jeremy Garchow on Jul 20, 2013 at 12:27:14 am

Personally, I'd buy the hold on, now!

Re: I'd buy the hold on, now!
by Mark Dobson on Jul 20, 2013 at 7:08:02 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Personally, I'd buy the hold on, now!"

That's actually rather funny. I like a bit of witty word play.