Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates) Forum
Cool laptop design
Cool laptop design
by Oliver Peters on Mar 16, 2020 at 4:48:47 pm

Asus ZenBook Pro Duo

Interested dual screen design. Great approach for editing software on a laptop.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ZenBook-Pro-Duo-UX581GV/

It won't run FCPX... yada yada yada... ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Re: Cool laptop design
by Bill Davis on Mar 16, 2020 at 5:38:22 pm

Looks like they took ALL the space that a Mac Laptop uses for the touchpad and used it for the second screen.

Personally, you'll only take my touchpad away from my cold, dead hands.

It's central to how I fly my apps and "the mouse" has been dead to me for nearly 7 years now.

But to each their own.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

by Oliver Peters on Mar 16, 2020 at 5:47:06 pm

[Bill Davis] "Looks like they took ALL the space that a Mac Laptop uses for the touchpad and used it for the second screen."

It's sort of the Touch Bar on steroids.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

by Tero Ahlfors on Mar 16, 2020 at 6:49:51 pm

I just got one of these for work. The extra half screen is really cool and you can fit all kinds of extra panels/palettes on it.

Or watch Netflix.

by Shawn Miller on Mar 16, 2020 at 7:18:26 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "I just got one of these for work. The extra half screen is really cool and you can fit all kinds of extra panels/palettes on it."

How is the performance? One of the things that I dislike about working on laptops is the lack of screen space. Having a dedicated space for pallets and whatnot could make mobile editing, compositing, etc. a lot more attractive for people like me.

Shawn

by Tero Ahlfors on Mar 16, 2020 at 7:44:22 pm

[Shawn Miller] "How is the performance? "

I just got it today so I haven't really tested it yet. I have the beefier model with the 8-core i9-9980HK and for graphics it has the RTX 2060 6GB and apparently it doesn't throttle that much. Mainly because of the Asus Zephyrus type cooling where the hinge lifts the bottom of the laptop up a bit so it can breathe.

by Shawn Miller on Mar 16, 2020 at 9:47:27 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "
I just got it today so I haven't really tested it yet. I have the beefier model with the 8-core i9-9980HK and for graphics it has the RTX 2060 6GB and apparently it doesn't throttle that much. Mainly because of the Asus Zephyrus type cooling where the hinge lifts the bottom of the laptop up a bit so it can breathe."

Nice - I hope you report back with your experiences after you've had it for a while!

Shawn

by Michael Gissing on Mar 16, 2020 at 10:08:23 pm

I like the idea a lot. I just hate touchpads and how they always get in the way of typing. This looks like a nice way to use that space for something useful and get the keys down where they belong.

And having a decent GPU means it might be a nice way to do a bit of Resolve work remotely, not that that is a big issue.

by Tero Ahlfors on Mar 18, 2020 at 3:36:12 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Nice - I hope you report back with your experiences after you've had it for a while!"

I've done some light to heavy AE comps, editing, grading and mastering and it's been really good. I would not use this for some super high res stuff because of the GPU RAM. The second screen is really useful and as a bunch of reviewers have said that this should be the default going forward. One could even slap the track mixer panel on there and use the touchscreen to move the faders around.

by Shawn Miller on Mar 18, 2020 at 5:56:33 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "I've done some light to heavy AE comps, editing, grading and mastering and it's been really good. I would not use this for some super high res stuff because of the GPU RAM. The second screen is really useful and as a bunch of reviewers have said that this should be the default going forward. One could even slap the track mixer panel on there and use the touchscreen to move the faders around."

This is great to know, thank you!

Shawn

by Neil Sadwelkar on Mar 17, 2020 at 6:26:57 am

Does the second screen worn as a place for holding grading controls for DaVinci? Sort of like a soft panel?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

by Tero Ahlfors on Mar 17, 2020 at 8:51:10 am

[Neil Sadwelkar] "Does the second screen worn as a place for holding grading controls for DaVinci? Sort of like a soft panel?"

Actually, yes. You can extend a program to both of the screens and you can control the color settings with touch. It would be way nicer if they had separate detachable panels like Premiere.

I'd still probably use the lower screen to show scopes instead.

by Jeremy Garchow on Mar 20, 2020 at 3:21:08 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "I just got one of these for work. The extra half screen is really cool and you can fit all kinds of extra panels/palettes on it."

Nice. Nice.

[Tero Ahlfors] "Or watch Netflix."

Ah, perfect.

by Morten Carlsen on Mar 18, 2020 at 11:25:02 am

Indeed very nice and a new approach too !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Color Monitor - Get Your Color Balance Right
Get it on the AppStore Today -- Pro Color Monitor MacAppStore

by Brett Sherman on Mar 21, 2020 at 8:26:40 pm

I like how you push a button and it blows blue pixie dust out of the vent.

I'm sure if I had a screen like that i'd figure out how to use it. Although, people really complained about the Touch Bar on the MBP, but maybe if it's a bit bigger. The touchpad on the right of the computer is interesting. That could work well. Very innovative design.

© CreativeCOW.net