Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates Forum
NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!
NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!
by Oliver Peters on Mar 3, 2020 at 12:36:57 am

Admin note: With apologies to Oliver for making his original thread about AJA into an all-companies thread, we don't need a new thread for every company. Please post ALL company and NAB general conversation in this thread. Thanks! We now return you to Oliver's thread. :-)

++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It is with a heavy heart that AJA is withdrawing from the NAB 2020 show in Las Vegas due to the risks from the Coronavirus. We have made this decision out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our employees and partners worldwide.

"While we will miss gathering with our friends and colleagues from around the world, AJA remains fully committed to transitioning all of our planned NAB events (product announcements and demos, channel partner meeting and press conference) to web-based video conferences. We have exciting product news to share, and we look forward to bringing those products to market as planned.

"AJA is a community-based company with a majority of our staff, product development and manufacturing located in Grass Valley, California and in light of the risks presented by Covid-19, having a physical presence at NAB posed too great of a risk."

https://www.aja.com/news/top-stories/895

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB Show 2020. What about YOU?
by Eric Santiago on Mar 3, 2020 at 2:18:42 pm

Yea I canceled on going this year.
We had family vaca that bit the dust as well.
This is the new norm for most of us.

Hoping all colleagues, friends and families are safe.

by Bill Davis on Mar 3, 2020 at 3:40:00 pm

Risk is just too high.
I'm not going either - and I'm going to predict that they'll have to cancel NAB this year.

Covid-19's general lack of lethality for the healthy among us isn't the issue for me. It's that spreading the virus increases the chances that it reaches someone in the high-risk categories, and I'm unwilling to act as an unknowing vector.

I suspect all that remains to be seen is what the trade show landscape looks like AFTER this year.

These giant gatherings have been wheezing along for a few years now. I'm uncertain whether this year will be an anomaly, or a sharp nail in the coffin of these shows as an overall business driver.

AJA and ADOBE have announced they are both doing what would have been their NAB product rollouts via webcasts. Grant at BlackMagic already was doing them as part of their overall marketing efforts. And of course, Apple, had already left trade shows for a virtual "event marketing" strategy a decade ago.

Things are changing fast.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

by Mark Raudonis on Mar 3, 2020 at 6:08:51 pm

Much like the Tsunami in Japan was the death of HDCAMsr and tape based delivery, this event may be a watershed moment
for the grim future of tradeshows.

In related news, the interest in "remote editing" is skyrocketing! And... by "remote editing", I'm not talking about an individual with a pile of local drives at home, I mean replicating access to the complete "Shared storage, large work group" environment via home internet connection.

There are solutions out there, but they're complicated and expensive. But, what's your health worth?

I predict that this moment is the turning point to the "remote editing" capability that we've all been yakking about for years. The tools are available now. We just need to formalize and legitimize the workflow. It's as much a "human" problem as a technical one.

Meanwhile, I've cancelled a vacation trip, my NAB plans are in doubt, and we're all in on disaster planning.

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB202
by Tim Wilson on Mar 4, 2020 at 10:20:08 am

[Mark Raudonis] "Much like the Tsunami in Japan was the death of HDCAMsr and tape based delivery, this event may be a watershed moment for the grim future of tradeshows."

Funny, we were talking about HDCAM SR just the other day. There were people willing to pay 10x for tape after the tsunami, but there were other people who said, you know what, enough already. We've been meaning to get around to this for years, so let's just spend that money to finish the transition to tapeless.

[Mark Raudonis] "I predict that this moment is the turning point to the "remote editing" capability that we've all been yakking about for years. The tools are available now. We just need to formalize and legitimize the workflow. It's as much a "human" problem as a technical one."

Yeah, whether the event is cancelled or not (I'll go on the record and predict NOT) that this is going to be the before and after of the show at the current scale.

I also think you're right that what's been stopping us from flipping the switch on TRUE remote editing on the scale of film productions and the vastly-larger scale of production at Bunim/Murray is more conceptual than technological. It has seemed easier to fly people around than actually figure out the name brands to plug into making remote collaboration work, but how this year unfolds might be the push that people have needed to say, enough already. We've been ABLE to make the switch, so let's just do it.

[Bill Davis] "AJA and ADOBE have announced they are both doing what would have been their NAB product rollouts via webcasts. "

Slight modification Bill -- so far, I think that the only thing Adobe has announced is that May's Adobe Summit is cancelling its Las Vegas event in favor of online-only. News about that here.

Over the past few weeks, we have been closely monitoring and evaluating the situation around COVID-19 to ensure we are taking the necessary measures to protect the health and wellbeing of Adobe Summit attendees. As a result, we have made the difficult but important decision to make Summit/Imagine 2020 an online event this year and cancel the live event in Las Vegas.

While we are disappointed that we will not be together in-person with our community this year, we are excited to host Adobe Summit as an online experience.

This is an event that they were hosting, with 16,000 folks on hand last year. I can easily imagine a world where they cancel a major event that they're responsible for, but still attend a show in the same city a few weeks earlier as one exhibitor.

I definitely agree with one of your points about Blackmagic, though: Grant's pre-NAB videos the past few years have brought some of the show's most compelling news. I'd love to see more of this from a lot more folks, whether or not they go to the show.

Still, though, I can also imagine AJA as the first of many. GDC is off, Google Next is off, no Facebook F8, Facebook and Twitter are among the major pullouts from the tech section at SxSW, and so on. My wife is in medical education, and she showed me an article listing 32 medical conferences canceled so far this year. I guarantee that that number is nowhere near the end of it.

On top of all the medical uncertainty (if indeed you're still uncertain -- I AIN'T) is the fact that our business has changed quite dramatically in ways that directly affect the value of the vendor-focused part of the show. NAB used to be among the only ways to see gear in person -- and we NEEDED to see it in person to make sure people weren't lying to us. LOL Or to talk to vendors to take their measure -- is this somebody I can trust?

I remember speaking to a storage vendor in 1995 and asking if their demos were running off drives or off tape decks, and he acted like I insulted him. "Of COURSE the demos are running off tape decks. There's not a drive manufacturer in the world whose stuff is reliable enough to work all day at a trade show. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a liar or an idiot." LOL

Hey, and remember when we needed to be persuaded that HD was real? I know very high profile pundits at high-profile magazines (one of which is still around even LOL), and well into the 21st century, he was adamant that HD was a scam, that nobody would ever be tell the difference, and that for SURE you'd never be able to get it over cable. (Nobody even talked about it over the internet. AOL was still in more homes than the internet WELL into this century.) But the rest of us still went to NAB to see for ourselves, our own noses against the glass, because nothing else would persuade us.

Same with RED's first NAB. People were lined up for hours just to see if it was real, to see if the pictures were really any good, whatever. Show me.

There was also this sense that we NEEDED something new NOW. As in, all of us were upgrading our computers every year 20-25 years ago, because we had to keep up. If Apple would have offered a new computer every six months, I'd have bought it, and I bet you would have too. Plus this endless array of doo-dads, plug-ins, and all kinds of things that we couldn't imagine. We had to go to EVERY BOOTH to find out wha t we didn't know, and ended the show exhausted, dehydrated to the point of hallucination, and certain that we'd still missed something that would have changed our lives IF ONLY WE'D KNOWN.

It was Fear of Missing Out while being IN THE ROOM. It's insane that anything should have ever had this kind of power over us.

Now it's more like, "I guess this is the year that I can swap out my 2008 Mac." LOL Stuff works. What I have this year will probably work for as long as I want it to.

And if Sam Mestman at LumaForge tells me he has a new box of Jelly for me, I'll believe him. I don't need to sniff it in person. I'll let Aharon demo the new Red Giant plug-ins for me on YouTube.

I mean, kinda the question I have for you folks still working for a living (me, I TALK about working for a living), what do you even need from ANY manufacturer? Sure, new stuff is always fun, but do you need to SEE it? In person?

Having worked for enterprise-class vendors, where salesdudes might make a significant portion of their entire year's number in a matter of days, it's hard to imagine that they won't find SOME way to get together in Las Vegas. It's not like NOBODY from Apple has been going to NAB since the company stopped doing booths on the floor.

And the North Hall crowd ain't goin' nowhere. Building infrastructure takes teams of people from bunches of companies, and they can't haul their gear from customer to customer. It's just more efficient to be in one place. But tens of thousands of civilians tromping through aisles of booths to pick up paper brochures? Not so much.

Bill, circling back to you, I'm intrigued that you're not going because Vegas is a relatively short trip for you, and because you've said that for so many years, you didn't need to see anything on the floor. You went to things like FCPWORKS presentations and user group events, and I agree. I'd long felt like seeing colleagues and a handful of suite presos were more valuable than gold, and the floor was skippable for anyone whose job doesn't require it.

Like Oliver Peters. ☺ Back around the turn of the century, Oliver and I met for dinner on the eve of NAB every year. Even though we both lived in Florida at the time (he still does), it was the one time of year we got to catch up in person. What are YOUR plans this time, man?

I'm also curious to hear from anyone who's of the "Just TRY and stop me from going" persuasion. I definitely remember the days of, "The survival of my business depends on me attending", whereas maybe today it's, "MY survival might depend on me NOT attending."

Also just saw this over on the electric twitter machine, someone @'ing us here at the COW....

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020
by Oliver Peters on Mar 4, 2020 at 1:12:15 pm

I agree that much of the product info is available online. But, "community" is a reason for many to attend shows like this. Seeing old friends or meeting new friends in person out of folks you've only known through online communications. Side events like Avid Connect, Faster Together Stage, Post Production World, etc. Remember that the exhibits are only a portion of the overall NAB Convention and that if you are an actual NAB member, then there are numerous meetings and sessions in addition to the exhibit floors.

Nevertheless, there is one thing that you don't get from online info, except the boiled down perspective of various writers, pundits, pontificators, etc. That's the "walking around" impression you get from seeing the booths. That's where you spot trends. For example, this year it may be interesting and telling to see how many vendors use the new Mac Pro or the XDR display as part of their demos. In years past, it's been interesting to see how many and who used FCPX on their stands and why.

Then there's the discovery of new up-and-comers in the so-called "pipe and drape" sections in the backs of the halls. These are the ones who won't get press. NAB is often a make-it-or-break-it showing for their company. Avid, EditShare, and many others started there.

So I do think shows like NAB serve a value for people in our industry. If I don't go this year (TBD), I will certainly miss it.

- Oliver

by Tim Gerhard on Mar 4, 2020 at 2:56:38 pm

We decided to pull our MagStor LTO systems exhibit this year due to the virus.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
LTO Solutions TB3 / SAS / USB / FC
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magstor.com

by Shane Ross on Mar 4, 2020 at 7:46:35 pm

I just happen to be missing it this year due to other reasons, so I didn’t even book anything yet. Glad that I didn’t. I’m wondering how much of a ghost town it’ll be. Normally I’m hired by AJA to be a booth jockey, but I’d have hard passed by now.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by Mark Suszko on Mar 4, 2020 at 7:53:35 pm

Huge hardware convention in Chicago cancelled... college sports teams are dropping away games... Japan took all their schools off line for a month... the Hadj seems like it's been cancelled this year... Airlines have cancelled new pilot classes, sensing an oncoming glut of pilots with fewer runs to make... Italy is asking people to stop kissing...

The disruption is wider than just our industry.

If I had to make a prediction, it's going to take a year to get a handle on this health crisis and get prophylaxis and treatment worked out to a point where the general public is no longer in a panic about travel. Travel and hospitality is one of the largest industries in the world and a lot of low income people depend on it for their livelihood. That's going to to really strain the social safety net.

I'm guessing there will still be an NAB convention next year, though it might be smaller. Or, it might transform into a fleet of smaller shows in major cities, where the vendors come to you, instead of the other way around. It would be cool to have an NAB back in Chicago...

I agree that this situation will provide a stimulus to development of remote editing hardware and software as well as changes in production practices. But it's only an acceleration of an existing trend.

by Oliver Peters on Mar 4, 2020 at 8:05:41 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I agree that this situation will provide a stimulus to development of remote editing hardware and software as well as changes in production practices. But it's only an acceleration of an existing trend."

I'm not sure I would make that extrapolation.

- Oliver

by Tim Wilson on Mar 5, 2020 at 12:21:51 am

[Tim Gerhard] "We decided to pull our MagStor LTO systems exhibit this year due to the virus."

Thanks for the update, Tim! Be sure to send us your news to press @ creativecow.net and we'll get it posted for you.

I have to say that I'm not especially paranoid about getting sick in general. What strikes me as imprudent right now is getting into a tube of germs to fly to the one event in the world where I've come home sick every single time, then climbing into another tube of germs with people who've been at the same event, almost certainly as sick as me.

I was trying to remember the year that SARS affected the Asian community, and vendors from that part of the world pulled out of NAB. One thing I hadn't considered until a recent conversation is that some companies might not be given a choice because of travel restrictions.

Not that we need to decide NOW what we're going to do with every trade show ever. But this year is different, and treating it like it's the same just doesn't seem prudent to me.

[Oliver Peters] "Avid, EditShare, and many others started there."

They started in very different NABs. They were dramatically smaller shows then, and much more focused on people who had the money to attend. There weren't free tickets in any large numbers, and travel to Vegas was difficult and expensive -- nothing like the Disneyland-ified travel packages, tons of flights available world of today, where the majority of people walking the floor aren't there to buy five and six figure systems like the ones Avid and EditShare launched with.

You used to need money to fly to Las Vegas, you needed money to get on the floor, "cheap" NLEs like Media 100 ran $30,000 and up, "cheap" camera rigs like BetaSP ran in the same range, and you can double those prices for today's economy. THAT's who went to NAB. People who had mid-five to low-six figures to spend for the CHEAP stuff, so you COULD launch companies like Avid and EditShare there. It's not the same now.

I'm all for the democratization of video -- I'm only in this industry because of it, and it's why the COW exists at all -- but I can also tell you that after working in the Boris FX booth for three years at the turn of the century, the Apple booth in 2003, and the Avid booth in 04-06, that I spent easily half my time explaining to people what video editing even is. You really haven't experienced tire-kicking until you've actually worked an NAB booth.

That was fine by me, though. We all start somewhere, and I'd rather help people who knew they didn't know stuff than waste my time with the NO-it-alls who came to the booth just to yell at me or try to make me feel stupid. (You'd be amazed, or maybe you wouldn't be, by how many people seemed to come to NAB for the SOLE purpose of yelling about something.)

Along the way, I definitely saw people's inclination to spend money plummet like a stone.

I mentioned in my earlier post why I think the North Hall crowd will be around until the sun goes nova, but for our end of the market, I think NAB could prosper more as a training and meeting event....but I'm not sure that even THAT is necessary for anything more than habit. There are energized user groups around country (I've presented to scores of them myself) and around the world (I've presented at a good handful of those too), and I think that as vendors find that it's cheaper AND SAFER to do road shows, regional events, and user groups that the ROI on NAB is fading fast.

Think about a company like LumaForge. I'm sure that they've made money at NAB, and will for as long as they feel like going, but they don't NEED it. At this point, I think they do way, way more to add value to NAB than NAB is adding to them, and they could do darn near all of it online, with a handful of local events or a road show that they could do for a fraction of NAB.

I hope nobody anywhere gets sick, and I hope everyone recovers. Get your flu vaccines, people. I don't have any doubt that we'll solve this problem and be able to jet around wherever we want next year.

But I'm also aware from having some immuno-compromised folks in my family that I could easily survive something like the flu or Coronavirus that I might pass along as a carrier, that would kill THEM. I gotta tell you, I'd really rather not live with the burden of killing an older or younger loved one because I felt the need to see a bunch of new widgets or old friends. It can all wait this year.

And to Mark's point above, I think it's also a good time to re-evaluate whether a show done in this manner, in this place, is the right way to do any of this.

by Bob Zelin on Mar 5, 2020 at 2:18:01 am

well - I live in Orlando, Florida - 2 minutes from Universal Studios and 15 minutes from Disney. There are more international tourists here, than will ever be in Las Vegas - so I AM GOING to NAB 2020.
Disney is not shutting down, Universal is not shutting down, Sea World is not shutting down, and all the neighborhood restaurants that I frequent (which include the Orlando Convention center which is 10 minutes from me) is not shutting down. So all of this is "child's play" compared to what could happen here in Orlando - so I AM GOING to NAB.

With that said - does anyone on this forum know where I can get a liver transplant ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

by Bill Davis on Mar 5, 2020 at 5:29:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But I'm also aware from having some immuno-compromised folks in my family that I could easily survive something like the flu or Coronavirus that I might pass along as a carrier, that would kill THEM. I gotta tell you, I'd really rather not live with the burden of killing an older or younger loved one because I felt the need to see a bunch of new widgets or old friends. It can all wait this year.
"

THIS.

I'm blessed with pretty excellent health for my age. So I don't have a single fear that attending NAB would put me in the slightest jeopardy.

But I'm utterly unwilling to become a vector for a known virus that's spread by close human contact.

Two anecdotes from the past week. There's a small little shopping center a 2 minute walk from my front door. We're there a LOT because the mom and pop restaurant is convenient, they all know us, and when we need a break from edit sessions, we tend to take that path of least resistance. It's the type of restaurant where there are two signs on the wall near the large "back room" noting that the Rotary and the Lions both have held meetings there for decades. Three of us were eating there the other day and I looked around the eatery and while some days the place is full of families and business folk, this particular day a bit late in the lunch cycle I suspect the average age of the clientele was about 80.

THAT is where I'm simply NOT going to be the guy who came back from a monster convention carrying a bug that probably wouldn't hurt ME - but might screw with all the decent veterans and locals in my neighborhood who are just trying to live out their lives in peace and quiet.

Two doors down is the local barbershop.

I don't always go there, because frankly, the shop is kinda Trump Central, and the political discussions barely make sense to me. (Bitcoin is a liberal plot? Really?) But I still like to stop by every few months and listen to the concerns of that slice of contemporary thinking. But THIS TIME, the average age in the room was closer to 90! Talk about the MOST vulnerable population.

And what REALLY stuck me was that as both the barbers finished one customer, they didn't even wash hands or use sanitizer between clients. They had actually TALKED about COVID-19 during the time I was there - but didn't actually do ANY of the recommendations as a public business full of barber chair arms and cash bills and magazines that the general public spends time touching all day long.

The more I think about this the more I think maybe I ought to look seriously into buying a Flowbee.

That's the landscape out there, at least in my neighborhood here in San Diego.

And it's not very pretty.

If I did go to NAB, I'd try to spend the next month self-monitoring and go out as little as possible for the next month. I can do that because my entire editing operation is at home now. But I'm still an outlier that way.

And my thinking about everything has changed a bunch in the past month.

FWIW.

by Bob Zelin on Mar 5, 2020 at 11:08:07 pm

Hello -
I took Bill Davis' post to heart. He frequents places that service people in their 70's and 80's. We have friends that play music at the Moose Lodge, and Elks Club and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and when we go, we are the youngest people that are there (and I am 64 and my wife is 60).

LET ME TELL YOU - I like going to local neighborhood places that are not tourist traps.
When I go to Vegas, I will be going here - the food is AMAZING -

https://www.yelp.com/biz/asian-bbq-and-noodle-las-vegas

if you look at the second review, you will see that the reviewer will cite how horrible the cleanliness or heath care that this restaurant is responsible for. The other reviews are wonderful - and my review is wonderful. I AM GOING. It's great, and it's cheap.

SO - what does this mean - does this mean that when I get back from NAB 2020, I am going to infect all of Orlando with Coronavirus ? Will I be "patient zero" and be blamed for the deaths of thousands of people ? REMEMBER - we go to see our friends play music at the Moose Lodge and Elks Club and Fraternal Order of Eagles all the time - and these are vunerable 70 and 80 year old people. Will I be the one responsible for killing all these people ?

I can only say this -
I AM GOING TO NAB. I always go to NAB. I will not be left behind. I will know all the latest technology. If I die in the process - well - so be it. There ain't no 20 - 30 year old that is getting ahead of me, just because of a life threatening disease. I would rather be dead. What's the alternative - "well - you did not go to NAB, and there are now other guys in their early 30's who know more than you do - and you can't compete with them - BUT YOU SAVED THOUSANDS OF LIVES". No sir - I would rather go to hell.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

by Steve Connor on Mar 6, 2020 at 11:15:21 pm

Pretty sure that NAB won't be happening

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/6/21162247/sxsw-2020-cancelled-coronavirus-austin-texas-virus-fears-public-health-event

by Roger Van Duyn on Mar 7, 2020 at 2:01:33 am

The panic mentality has really taken hold. At least this time I'm no longer working in a laboratory up to my ears in nasal swabs like during the avian flu panic about 12 or so years ago. Just today, a really big Conference/Trade Show cancelled in my (and Bob's) neck of the woods too:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/coronavirus/2020/03/03/donald-trump-himss-conference-orlando

Roger

by Roger Van Duyn on Mar 7, 2020 at 2:08:25 am

Sorry, I had a senior moment during my last post. It wasn't the avian flu, but the H1N1 swine flu outbreak of 2009 I was referring to.

Roger

by Bob Zelin on Mar 7, 2020 at 3:03:06 pm

I think that many of you WANT NAB to be cancelled. Seems that everyone is excited that it might be cancelled.
As Steve Conner mentioned - I live in Orlando, Florida, around the corner from Universal Studios, and about 2 miles away from the giant Orlando Convention center. Right outside my door is "restaurant row", which services all these convention people and tourists. I continue to eat there, and the restaurants are all crowded (someone is saying "you'll be sorry !).

So I should be dead from Coronavirus, long before NAB starts this April. And yes, conventions are being cancelled here - part of the panic. In the mean time - life goes on here as normal. Still can't find a spot in the grocery store parking lot (and it's not from people stocking up on water, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer).

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

by Brett Sherman on Mar 7, 2020 at 11:15:42 pm

Bob, I don't think Coronavirus could stop you!

Of course nobody really NEEDS to go to NAB. So that might be the reason people won't go. At least the bars won't be crowded when you go.

by Francois Jean on Mar 8, 2020 at 3:30:22 pm

All decisions are individual choices but it is not that easy to decide ...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/03/05/person-who-attended-conference-in-vegas-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

FRANCOIS

by Ralph Hajik on Mar 8, 2020 at 6:11:45 pm

Hello NAB readers,

I myself is taking a pass on NAB this year. Better safe than sorry even though all precautions are in place I'm sure.
As stated in this thread that you can get all the information on the internet.
When I get information on NAB 2020 I will post it.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
RJTravelMedia
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

by Bill Davis on Mar 8, 2020 at 6:59:30 pm

[Francois Jean] "All decisions are individual choices but it is not that easy to decide ...
"

This one might not be. (individual choice)

The map of what we know about the virus spread on all the Sunday news shows was pretty daming.
(and this is still before more than a relative handful of test kits have been widely available, so the "actual taken test" to population ratio is still extremely low.)

The single confirmed attendee case out of the CPAC conference yesterday, will also be pretty damaging, I suspect.

George Stephanopolous had Ben Carson on ABC today repping the administration and it did NOT go well. Then they had a pair of ACTUAL health care professionals and the two of them were pretty clear we are well past the prevention stage and into what needs to be a robust mitigation stage.

As with SXSW, you can only attend NAB if they put the show on. And I have more and more serious doubts about that.

We'll see.

by Ralph Hajik on Mar 8, 2020 at 10:31:47 pm

Here in Chicago they have already cancelled the Ace Hardware Show which brings in more than 14,ooo people to the city.
It becomes the third event scheduled for McCormick Place that has been scrapped over fears of the coronavirus.

On Monday, the International Housewares Association canceled its annual trade-only event, The Inspired Home Show, which was scheduled for March 14-17 and expected to bring $77 million in spending to Chicago, income for hotels, restaurants, transportation services and entertainment venues. Oracle on Wednesday dropped its conference, Modern Business Experience, which was expected to draw 5,500 people.

The Ace event was estimated to be responsible for 16,000 hotel room nights that would have been used during the show, said McCormick Place spokeswoman Cynthia McCafferty. As more events cancel in Chicago, it will deal a blow to the city’s tourism.

United Airlines became the first U.S. airline on Wednesday to cut both domestic and international flights as companies restrict travel to employees and other conventions across the country cancel shows in an attempt to protect workers’ safety and health.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
RJTravelMedia
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

by Michael Gissing on Mar 8, 2020 at 11:52:34 pm

I've been musing over this issue for a while. It seems that seasonal flu which killed 650,000 people world wide last year was no reason to restrict our passion for travel and trade shows. COVID-19, currently rare, certainly has a higher mortality rate that seasonal flu (10 x the flu's current mortality) but is still relatively harmless as a virus, compared to Smallpox, Ebola and others. Highly virulent flu variants like the H1N1 at the end of World War 1 killed between 40 and 100 million, although it's really hard to know exact mortality. It was the first and most dramatic world pandemic. We always stand the chance that a variant in seasonal flu will be far more virulent than COVID-19.

I'm in two minds about this seemingly over reaction to COVID-19. I applaud the efforts to limit the spread and I have no issue with the cancelling of trade shows. Along with that I applaud anyone who wishes to limit their travel over the next year and who self isolate when they have a cold, just in case. My reasoning is that the greater good this will afford the environment, at the obvious expense of our broken capitalist system, will also make us question our normal social selfishness.

I've just returned from a three week location doco shoot with a head cold which cleared up in a couple of days, but it did focus my mind and behaviour, avoiding people who are health fragile and self isolating for a couple of days just in case. It's pretty clear that I don't have COVID-19 but I did think more about others than I do when seasonal flu comes through.

I have never been to NAB and now probably this will be the beginning of the end of such shows as the internet age means they are less relevant.

by Tim Wilson on Mar 10, 2020 at 12:55:49 am

[Roger Van Duyn] "The panic mentality has really taken hold. "

To me, "panic mentality" is something like stockpiling toilet paper, which is definitely happening where I live. Uhm, what exactly do y'all think is going to happen here?

Whereas canceling festivals and trade shows seems like the bare minimum of prudence, no more or less panicky than washing your hands for 20 seconds.

(Rather than singing the Alphabet song twice, my favorite way to count to 20 is to recite: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before." You gotta put the pause after the word "space", and I'm sure you nerds know exactly how long to pause. Plus however much time you want to add to sing the theme at the end.)

I'm not saying that YOU'RE saying this, Roger, but the reason why I get nervous when people decry "panic mode" (and yes, y'all can buy the regular amount of TP, please and thank you) is that it can also prevent prudence.

Remember around Y2K, there were engineers saying, "Bad things are going to happen if you don't address this, and here's just a taste based on the simulations we've run." It became a game in the media to see who could make the biggest deal out of saying THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. And what happened was that people of good intent DID listen, and DID act, and DID pay for the development and rapid deployment of patches to make sure that embedded systems kept working, and indeed they did.

And what happened? These same know-nothing nutsacks that were screaming about Y2K being a hoax were now shouting SEE? NOTHING HAPPENED. ALL THAT WORRYING FOR NOTHING.

No, it wasn't for nothing. And it wasn't worrying. It was a warning raised by people who are paid to look out for trouble and issue these exact kind of warnings. And smart people heeded the warnings, and THAT's why nothing bad happened.

So the ideal scenario is that by this time next month, nobody in Austin will have gotten sick, nobody will have died. And I pray that a bunch know-nothing nutsacks don't froth at mouths screaming SEE? NOTHING HAPPENED. ALL THAT WORRYING FOR NOTHING....when the truth is, it wasn't for nothing, and it wasn't worrying. It was listening to warnings from people who are paid to give those kinds of warnings, taking basic steps, and AFTER THAT, sure, we're all here to tell the tale, if everything goes right. Let's make it as easy as possible for things to go right by keeping fewer pieces in motion.

Because look, the best case scenario anyone is talking about is 100,000 dead in the US. THAT'S NOT MUCH, RIGHT? Certainly nothing like 675,000 in 1918. Only about 3x a bad flu season. But we're still gonna lose those 30-ish thousand folks anyway, so this 100,000 is on top of that, and that's a best-case scenario.

So let's just nod calmly, admit that this year is a little different, so we'll take little steps. Use the normal amount of toilet paper at home for a couple of extra days this year, and maybe not get super-frothy because we don't get to climb in a germ tube of a plane to fly into a germ-bath of a convention center with thousands of people you don't even like to be around the few dozen people you do, 🤣 and let's do it next year instead.

by Tim Wilson on Mar 10, 2020 at 7:10:57 am

And now Adobe has pulled out of NAB. Making the Adobe Summit online-only was a no-brainer, because they were hosting that themselves, but pulling out of exhibiting at NAB is increasingly obviously a no-brainer too (sez me). I'll let their announcement at The Adobe Blog speak for itself.

Each year, we look forward to seeing our video community at NAB to talk about the latest trends and our product innovations. Over the past few weeks, we have been closely monitoring and evaluating the situation around COVID-19 and have made the difficult but important decision to cancel our presence at the show this year.

While we are disappointed, the health and safety of our employees, customers and partners are always our priority. We look forward to engaging with our NAB community through a digital experience in the near future.

That's it. That's the whole announcement. Nothing extreme, no "this is the end of trade shows", just an acknowledgment that this year is different, so they'll do something different.

I came across an article at The Verge that presents a statistical model for what happens when you cancel public gatherings like festivals during epidemics called "flattening the curve" -- not that event cancellations cause outbreaks to zero out, but that they keep peaks from occurring, which makes treatment easier and creates less burden on public resources. Canceling events early can help keep an outbreak from getting worse

One especially illuminating chart shows the difference between what happened in St. Louis in 1918, which banned sporting events and closed cinemas early in the influenza outbreak, vs. Philadelphia, which went forward with plans for a parade. One of them had a death rate that peaked at only one-fifth of the other, but spent most of the outbreak at more like a tenth of the other. Any guesses which was which?

How'd you do on your guess? LOL Thought so. There's literally nothing to be gained by treating this year as business as usual, and a considerable amount to lose.

I saw another image in another Verge article that made me think some more about thinking different, in a much broader way. It's kind of obvious if you think about it, but now that China is observing a number of travel restrictions, it's made for a huge drop in air pollution. I'm not making any political observations about Chinese policy or government intervention in general. I'm just reading a map, and the map says, fewer cars on the road has meant clearer skies.

Here's the article, which gets into a lot of extra nerdery. I am an extra kind of nerd, so I dug it, and you might too.

So I've been looking at things like, companies who've for years strongly discouraged working from home, if not forbidding outright, now requiring it. Companies canceling in-person events. Dramatically reducing, if not eliminating, business travel. Doing all hiring interviews using web conferencing.

What if, just as a tape shortage following a devastating tsunami forced us to acknowledge that there was really nothing holding us back from adopting tapeless workflows, we could use this challenging time to admit that we've been making ourselves do a lot of stuff that we just don't need to do.

There will always be exchanges that are more efficient in person, making dozens of deals in little more time than it takes to make a couple, insights to be gleaned from informal conversations after formal presentations, boundless pleasures of finding miracles in the festival film we saw and loved when the one we'd wanted to see sold out, and so on -- but really, honestly, we don't need to go to the office so often or stay so long. We don't need to take as many business trips. We don't need as many events. We really can live longer, be happier, and have everything about our world be better if we just decided that we'd rather do that than chase one more widget that we'll only believe exists if we see it in person, hundreds or thousands of miles away from home.

All this stuff will be around next year, but it won't matter if we're not. And yeah, in virtually no scenario are most of us in the most vulnerable populations, so we'll all still be around even if we lick all the handrails at the airport....but wouldn't it be cool if we spent some of the time NOT going to all this stuff and taking all these trips to think about how we can build a media production lifestyle that actually makes our lives more sane, instead of more exhausting?

by Steve Connor on Mar 10, 2020 at 9:07:01 am

[Tim Wilson] "So let's just nod calmly, admit that this year is a little different, so we'll take little steps. Use the normal amount of toilet paper at home for a couple of extra days this year, and maybe not get super-frothy because we don't get to climb in a germ tube of a plane to fly into a germ-bath of a convention center with thousands of people you don't even like to be around the few dozen people you do, 🤣 and let's do it next year instead.
"

Sound advice Tim!

by Shawn Miller on Mar 10, 2020 at 5:08:21 pm

[Tim Wilson] "(Rather than singing the Alphabet song twice, my favorite way to count to 20 is to recite: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before." You gotta put the pause after the word "space", and I'm sure you nerds know exactly how long to pause. Plus however much time you want to add to sing the theme at the end.)"

I use the Bene Gesserite litany against fear, it feels appropriate to the times. ☺

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

[Tim Wilson] "So let's just nod calmly, admit that this year is a little different, so we'll take little steps. Use the normal amount of toilet paper at home for a couple of extra days this year, and maybe not get super-frothy because we don't get to climb in a germ tube of a plane to fly into a germ-bath of a convention center with thousands of people you don't even like to be around the few dozen people you do, 🤣 and let's do it next year instead."

Amen! ☺

Shawn

by Tim Wilson on Mar 10, 2020 at 6:24:38 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I use the Bene Gesserite litany against fear, it feels appropriate to the times. ☺

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
"

I said to my wife across the room (yes, both working at home), "Hey, this guy at the COW says that instead of the Star Trek thing, he does the Bene Gesserit fear litany," and she laughed and STARTED RECITING IT. LOL And now you know one of the keys to us keeping our marriage spicy. LOL

(And in fact, I'd never Dune before I read her hardcover first edition in 1983. Also, check this recent update on Denis Villeneuve's adaptation of Dune and companion TV series coming later this year at IndieWire.)

She asked me to tell you that she loves you too. LOL

by Shawn Miller on Mar 10, 2020 at 7:13:30 pm

[Tim Wilson] "

I said to my wife across the room (yes, both working at home), "Hey, this guy at the COW says that instead of the Star Trek thing, he does the Bene Gesserit fear litany," and she laughed and STARTED RECITING IT. LOL And now you know one of the keys to us keeping our marriage spicy. LOL

(And in fact, I'd never Dune before I read her hardcover first edition in 1983. Also, check this recent update on Denis Villeneuve's adaptation of Dune and companion TV series coming later this year at IndieWire.)

She asked me to tell you that she loves you too. LOL"

LOL - Tim, this makes my whole month, thank you both!! And thanks for the link as well, I'm as pregnant as an axlotl tank with anticipation (for the new adaptation and the series)! ☺

Shawn

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB Show 2020. Now Adobe. What about YOU?
by Michael Szalapski on Mar 10, 2020 at 7:30:18 pm

I haven't decided if I'm going or not. Much of what I enjoyed about the show was talking with engineers, QC folks, etc. from Adobe about the future of After Effects, Premiere Pro, Character Animator, etc. and with the Adobe team not there, a big reason for my attendance is gone.

Maxon and Red Giant are still (currently) planning to attend. So that means a bunch of folks I like to chat with will still be there.

At the very least, the Mograph.net folks have said that (unless all air travel is grounded) they're going to be in Las Vegas even if NAB itself is canceled.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

by Oliver Peters on Mar 10, 2020 at 9:59:45 pm

No Avid either.

https://www.avid.com/covid-19

- Oliver

by Tim Wilson on Mar 11, 2020 at 2:58:59 am

As noted in previous threads that I'm hoping to consolidate here, this is now a thread to talk about EVERYONE....and I can add one more, Ross Video. I especially like what their announcement said, specifically:

Ross has been at every NAB since 1974 and this has not been an easy decision to take, but we have a clear duty to our employees, our customers and families.

And here's the link to their press release.

Speaking for me personally and NOT for CreativeCOW.net officially, me personally, this is exactly how I'm coming to see this. It's not about NAB. It's about duty.

Even if you're not going to bow out for you, even if you're happy to kill every old person and baby and diabetic (8% mortality) and person with high blood pressure (6% mortality) or cancer (5% mortality -- that's right, high blood pressure is riskier than cancer) that you know or might come in contact indirectly, how about at least pretend for a few days that there's something more important than money or ego or another week of partying, and stay out of airplanes and six-figure gatherings for a couple of days and let doctors and nurses try to get on top of this thing.

Instead, let's party at NAB NY in the fall (it happens) or NAB 2021, and fulfill our barest obligations to our fellow humans to not intentionally make their lives worse or shorter just because we're feeling macho about the hustle.

(And yes, I recognize that there are other reasons to attend NAB than the ones I passive-aggressively described in the worst possible terms above. LOL In general. But this year, maybe, maybe not. LOL)

by Lance Bachelder on Mar 11, 2020 at 8:53:55 am

I was just in Vegas this past weekend, expected it to be a ghost town but it was PACKED! Had a great time and was planning on NAB as a friend who has never been was hoping to go. I assumed after SXSW cancellation that NAB would be next, sadly the panic is too great and the media isn't helping but probably for the best as the A-list companies are folding like dominos... next year hopefully.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

by greg janza on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:46:01 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "At the very least, the Mograph.net folks have said that (unless all air travel is grounded) they're going to be in Las Vegas even if NAB itself is canceled."

Companies that put out statements about how they'll be there no matter what are completely clueless as to how negatively that attitude reflects on the company itself. It's idiotic at this point to hold NAB much less go to Vegas even if it's cancelled.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

by Michael Szalapski on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:50:23 pm

[greg janza] "Companies that put out statements about how they'll be there no matter what are completely clueless as to how negatively that attitude reflects on the company itself."

Agreed. If the whole thing cancels, why go? It's just...bravado for no reason? Maybe they just love Vegas?

Also, Boris FX just emailed that they're pulling out. https://twitter.com/post_magazine/status/1237765971823165440?s=20

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

by Mark Suszko on Mar 11, 2020 at 5:21:50 pm

Why? "Sunk costs fallacy" and FOMO. "dammit, we laid out all that money; we wanna see some return on it".

With major competitors out, some smaller companies might figure it this way: they get more mind-share of the ones that still attend, and have less competition for their particular products from major rivals.

It's just a theory.

Imagine Products pulls out
by Craig Seeman on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:11:40 pm

The erosion of exhibitors continues.
https://www.imagineproducts.com/news/blog/imagine-products-will-not-attend-nab-2020/

NAB is Canceled
by Craig Seeman on Mar 11, 2020 at 6:12:37 pm

https://nabshow.com/2020/attend/onsite-services/coronavirus-update-and-resources/

Re: NAB is Canceled
by Tim Wilson on Mar 11, 2020 at 6:40:20 pm

Well there it is, the other shoe dropping. I actually love NAB's announcement, which Craig linked to above. Here's a couple of sentences:

In the interest of addressing the health and safety concerns of our stakeholders and in consultation with partners throughout the media and entertainment industry, we have decided not to move forward with NAB Show in April. We are currently considering a number of potential alternatives to create the best possible experience for our community.

This was not an easy decision. Fortunately, we did not have to make this decision alone, and are grateful to our NAB Show community for engaging with us as we grappled with the rapidly-evolving situation. This Show is as much yours as it is ours, and it is important to us that we move forward together.

They basically admitted that they'd probably have gone forward if they could have, but a lot of their partners were asking them not to. I get that. SxSW is laying off staff because they rely on the show to give them revenue that they use all year, and I'm sure that our friends in the show division of NAB (as opposed to the broadcast political lobbying organization) are going to be feeling some pain. They have our sympathies, for sure. We consider those folks friends, have worked on many projects together, and hope to do so again soon.

Of course, we're still five weeks out from the scheduled date. I suspect that in another couple of weeks, this decision would have been made for them by larger forces, apart from the momentum that's going to be keeping people working from home.

Lots more to say about this, but I'm also looking forward to what you cats have to say. :-)

Re: All-purpose NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom.
by David Mathis on Mar 11, 2020 at 6:41:23 pm

Was just informed in a Facebook group that NAB has been officially cancelled. Prior to that notification Boris FX made a decision to be a no show. This is a smart move. As several other COW members the risk is too great. It is a disappointment to many but safety should be first priority. Will there be a show later this year? No one knows and I believe alternatives are being discussed.

by Mark Suszko on Mar 11, 2020 at 7:09:56 pm

I can imagine holding a virtual NAB show floor right here on the COW. Come on, Tim!

by Steve Connor on Mar 11, 2020 at 7:52:54 pm

E3 Cancelled too?

Re: NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!
by Michael Szalapski on Mar 11, 2020 at 6:56:33 pm

Well, NAB is officially canceled. So, NONE of us are going.

- The Great Szalam

Re: NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!
by Tim Wilson on Mar 11, 2020 at 10:38:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I can imagine holding a virtual NAB show floor right here on the COW. Come on, Tim!"

Discussions already very much underway, Mark. ☺

We don't talk about this often, but every month, 10 times more people come through the COW than attended the biggest NABs, so we can definitely get a few things cooking.

I don't mind saying that we're not looking to cash in on this. We know that everybody's money is going to be tight, so we're looking to advance the interests of the entire community here. Yes, we were hoping the show would be canceled this year, but we don't have any illusions that anybody's life is going to be easier as a result, or that they're suddenly going to have more money in pocket as a result of not going. Quite the contrary.

Details to follow, of course. People are just starting to think about this stuff, and it's still 5 weeks from NAB's originally scheduled date, but whether folks are going to be holding their own online events (say, AJA and Adobe, who've already announced that this will be their approach), or need some help putting something together, we'll be accommodating them.

More soon!

Tim

by Mark Suszko on Mar 12, 2020 at 12:35:16 am

Can you make it in VR so I can put on a pair of goggles, some too-tight shoes, and watch it on my treadmill? :-)

by Tim Wilson on Mar 13, 2020 at 9:21:53 am

[Mark Suszko] "Can you make it in VR so I can put on a pair of goggles, some too-tight shoes, and watch it on my treadmill? :-)"

You read our minds!

Okay, kidding aside. You're now in charge of the NAB Show. What are you thinking about for the rest of 2020?

The Twittersphere was circulating a rumor about rescheduling for the summer, which strikes me as a bad idea for a number of reasons (not least of which is THE DESERT IN THE SUMMER), doubling down on NAB NY in October (assuming that it comes to pass), or NAB marshalling their vast resources to record and stream presentations of....something/anything. (I'm sure that they could get Todd Rundgren to help if they asked.)

The challenge isn't just for NAB alone, although it certainly starts there. We've already heard from SxSW that the revenue loss from canceling their three Austin festivals (movies, music, and tech) has led to cutting a third of their staff already, and serious questions over whether the festivals will be back next year. That's surely not going to be quite the case for NAB (right? like I know, though), but we've considered the folks who run the show and conferences to be our friends, and we sympathize with their challenge.

But there's also the responsibility that I know that they feel to the many partners who time their product development and release cycles to the April show. Some of them clearly have the resources to mount major streaming initiatives on their own, but some of them could use a boost from NAB...somehow...to help them recoup the investment they've made in development in ways that support NAB, and now look to NAB for support in creating something resembling the splash they would have made during the show.

(I won't even try to count all the press releases we'd already gotten from folks announcing what they were bringing to the show. Some, I've been able to edit and still have them make sense, say, for products with a firm ship date, or shipping now. But quite a few were speaking about specific things they were planning to DO at the show. Those stories are going to have get rewritten after the strategies do.)

So, you're NAB, thinking about what you can do for your own organization, and what you can do for some of the companies who count on you...what would YOU do?

by Mark Suszko on Mar 13, 2020 at 12:14:39 pm

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, having attended nary a single NAB. It was all because it was in Vegas. Anywhere else, I might have talked the admin into subsidizing the occasional trip. When you work for a government department, there's en extra layer of scrutiny to everything you do, and for decades, our management would not allow us to go to NAB on the public dime for fear of a muck-racking columnist making a cheap shot headline out of it: "your tax dollars wasted on employee junkets to Vegas". So... we could go... but only if we took vacation time and funded our trips out of pocket. Never could afford that. So actually finding and using the COW back in the day was how I first got to vicariously see and learn about what you folks got to actually experience in the Real. Only without the foot pain, the heat, the crowds getting in the way of you getting a better look. Was I jealous of you all? Yes. Did I still end up learning enough to advise my bosses on future purchases? Yes.

I love the TED talk format for making presentations. I am also a huge fan of Pecha_Kucha Night presentations, which are timed talks linked to 20 powerpoint slides. Each slide is locked in at a 20 second length. 20 slides, 20 seconds each, no stops, no do-overs, no extensions, and you are done. It's fast, it promotes efficient communication, it's like presentation haiku, and it's fun. Check out https://www.pechakucha.com

So, if I was building a portal site for a virtual NAB booth-crawl, I'd standardize the format for maximum info in the minimum time, to say, two minutes of overview and key features. I'd also have a rule that I reject demos made with just a shotgun mic on the camera or phone. This is NAB and you have to have SOME standards. It amazes me how many demos I find on Youtube where an engineer who should know better is demoing with hollow, echoey, off-mic audio.

But I digress..

So, standardized format, short short run time with links to expanded versions. Keyword-searchable, by maker/brand as well as type and function. So If I'm shopping for a switcher I can see all the switcher-related clips in one bunch. Links to a discussion thread for Q&A and detail if you want it.

And I want all the panels open to view, all the keynotes, white paper presentations, round table discussions, no paywalls. NAB is not just the hardware show floor but also the experts talking about the industry and where it is going. That's the simplest part to share online.

by Tim Wilson on Mar 13, 2020 at 5:24:49 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I love the TED talk format for making presentations. I am also a huge fan of Pecha_Kucha Night presentations, which are timed talks linked to 20 powerpoint slides."

I think we can definitely agree as a nation and a world that TED has really helped its speakers hone the art of a 15-minute talk. None of it is accidental. They DRILL people on it, and in fact have some fantastic resources on their channel, YouTube and elsewhere to teach you how to do a presentation exactly like this. Here's one from TED Official, but there are a bunch of others that honestly every speaker should take to heart.

[Mark Suszko] "And I want all the panels open to view, all the keynotes, white paper presentations, round table discussions, no paywalls. NAB is not just the hardware show floor but also the experts talking about the industry and where it is going. That's the simplest part to share online."

I don't think they could do it for free free with their major source for funding educational effort no longer in play, but they could definitely get corporate sponsorship out the wazoo, and should -- and then, yeah, make the content free. It's a model whose ongoing viability we can testify to ☺ (with thanks again to the many of you who turn your ad blockers off in the COW).

But Mark, I love these ideas! And maybe it really does take this kind of thinking -- NOT assuming that you'll be so sad sad sad if you can't have beers with your buddies from far away and have engineers from your favorite companies treat you like you're important to your face, and that the only problem to solve is to figure out how to be that hung over and have people still suck up to you rather than treat you like a hobo. LOL

It's ultimately as simple as you're making it, I think. There's lots of people ready to share lots of information, and we have lots of ways to accomplish that while we're in a set of conditions that might be around for another 12-18 months in some part of the world

by greg janza on Mar 13, 2020 at 5:43:49 pm

It's a bit shocking that video industry stage presentations haven't adopted the TED talks model long ago. The biggest thing that video teaches is focusing a message and making it as brief as possible.

As a long-time corporate video editor I've suffered through innumerable live event key note addresses and they are always way too long. Keeping a live audience engaged for more than 20 mins is no small task and for the most part there are very few instances where it's warranted.

The TED talk approach should be mandated for virtually all live presentations and especially for us folks in the business of video.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

by Steve Connor on Mar 13, 2020 at 6:16:23 pm

So WWDC is going to be online only now, will be very interesting to see how Apple make it work

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/apples-wwdc-2020-kicks-off-in-june-with-an-all-new-online-format/

© CreativeCOW.net