Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates Forum
ProRes RAW and RED patent
ProRes RAW and RED patent
by Oliver Peters on Apr 15, 2019 at 5:22:40 pm

I wonder if the lack of ProRes RAW adoption by camera manufacturers has to do with RED's patents? To my knowledge RED holds the patent for recording compressed RAW formats in-camera. I'm not exactly sure how BMD got around that.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8872933B2/en

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Re: ProRes RAW and RED patent
by Shawn Miller on Apr 15, 2019 at 6:13:04 pm

[Oliver Peters] "To my knowledge RED holds the patent for recording compressed RAW formats in-camera. I'm not exactly sure how BMD got around that."

I thought, they got around it by doing a partial de-bayer in camera, so that the output wasn't "technically" raw. Although, you bring up an interesting question - would putting ProRes RAW in a camera violate Red's copyright? Also, how are Kinefinity and Canon getting away with compressed raw capture in their cameras - could they be paying RED a licensing fee... or, are those lossy formats?

Shawn

by Oliver Peters on Apr 15, 2019 at 6:23:29 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Also, how are Kinefinity and Canon getting away with compressed raw capture in their cameras - could they be paying RED a licensing fee... or, are those lossy formats?"

Good question. I'm not sure. I do know that RED sued Sony for recording a compressed raw format in the F55 camera, but I don't know the outcome of that.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

by Michael Gissing on Apr 15, 2019 at 10:35:30 pm

I'm sure the RED patent is behind the dropping of cDNG in BM cameras. Maybe with BRAW they have either worked around the patent or are paying RED a license

by Ronny Courtens on Apr 16, 2019 at 9:25:08 am

Jeremy from Atomos officially said they are paying a license fee to RED for capturing to ProRes RAW on their devices. And, as Shawn stated, BRAW is strictly not a RAW format because they do a partial debayer before encoding to BRAW.

I think the term "RAW" is being used pretty loosely these days. When talking with some colorists at Films@59 (a very high-profile post house in Bristol) a few months ago, they surprised me by saying that they did not even consider REDRAW as a true RAW format. But then again they also don't consider Resolve as a valid tool for their color workflows. They use Baselight and Flame Premium on Supermicro Linux boxes. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

- Ronny

by Eric Santiago on Apr 16, 2019 at 1:41:11 pm

Aaah RED the new Apple 😉

Remember Firewire...and Im sure many other patent goodies ;)

© CreativeCOW.net