Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
XML to premiere pro
XML to premiere pro
by Andrew Johnstone on May 15, 2014 at 8:36:01 pm

I am struggling to export an XML file to Premiere Pro from FCP 7 so that it comes out at the correct aspect ratio.

I am shooting on an HPX250 (Panasonic P2) and although this is full HD, the aspect ration is 1440x1080 (16:9). My sequence settings in FCP are here:

I can manage to output an XML file to PP, but when i import the file the image is set to a 4:3 aspect ratio and I cannot seem to change this, either when the sequence is open nor before by selecting a custom ratio.

I have downloaded the ProRes codecs, but I cannot seem to work out where to put them to make PP use them. IS this the issue or is there something else I need to do to get PP to open the imported XML sequence in the correct aspect ratio?

Thanks for any help.

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
www.wilddogworld.com

Re: XML to premiere pro
by Alex Udell on May 16, 2014 at 9:49:05 am

just a guess...

so when you open the Ppro Seq Settings, they are wrong?

could it be the sequence is right and the ftg is not interpreted correctly?

XML probably won't handle the footage interp. You will likely need to set that in the project panel.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

by Andrew Johnstone on May 16, 2014 at 4:35:20 pm

Thanks for this.

The sequence opens fine in PP via the XML but the aspect ratio is a mess! I assume that I need to match the settings for the FCP sequence in the new PP sequence, but no matter what combinations I try I cannot seem to send up with anything but a squashed 4;3 frame. The sequence should be 16:9.

Not quite sure where I reset the footage interpretation. Again I assumed that since I have downloaded the ProRes codecs that PP would be able to manage this, but perhaps what I need to do is to select another code in FCP first and then export...?

Any further clues/ideas appreciated.

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
www.wilddogworld.com

by Alex Udell on May 16, 2014 at 9:14:38 pm

multi select your ftg in the project panel

right click

modify

interpret ftg

pixel aspect ratio

conform to HD anamorphic 1.33

what's happening is that the footage as shot is using non square pixels (horizontally stretched) but this isn't carried by XML...1.33 stretches each pixel horizontally so then the resulting image will fill the frame.

ta da! :)

Alex Udell

by Andrew Johnstone on May 19, 2014 at 9:13:02 am

Ta Da indeed!

Brilliant...

A blooming lifesaver in fact!

The issue I am am facing is the long term sustainability of my FCP 7 workflow. At some point in the not to distant future I can foresee a OSX system upgrade from Apple that will render FCP 7 entirely inoperable, rendering edits from all old film projects dead. We have seen this before when Apple moved from Motorola PowerPC to Intel chips and not too long ago when my old version of Photoshop as disabled in an OSX update.

Thanks for you help!

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
www.wilddogworld.com

by Alex Udell on May 19, 2014 at 11:04:03 am

Glad to do it!

Cheers!

Alex Udell

© CreativeCOW.net