Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Learning Premiere Pro from Vegas
Learning Premiere Pro from Vegas
by Vincent Levalois on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:44:35 pm

I've been working with Vegas now for 3-4 years and have learned a ton from it including tips and tricks, etc. I'm used to editing MANY small clips in succession for football highlight reels by picking out plays and moving them around, applying effects off the cuff, transitions and the like. With so many clips to edit, I need to be very efficient and I really appreciate Vegas' ease of use in that regard.

However, I want to keep learning and decided I'd take on Premiere Pro CC. The two have quite a few differences. For one, it doesn't look like I can simply drag a clip on top of another and have them dissolve (default transition) automatically. Is this possible? Also, it sure seems like the default effects don't have many pre-built options to choose from to get going quickly.

Any advice from people that have deep knowledge of both would be greatly appreciated. If there's a resource for people like me wanting to learn from Vegas to Premiere Pro I'd love to know what it is.

Thanks!

Win7 Pro - Sony Vegas Pro 12

Re: Learning Premiere Pro from Vegas
by walter biscardi on Aug 18, 2013 at 7:07:47 pm

You really want to start with An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro. After 11 years on Final Cut Pro I purchased this book for my entire staff and it's an excellent guide to get you started. Written from an editor's perspective rather than "teaching you how to edit" along with the software.

http://www.amazon.com/Editors-Guide-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/dp/0321773012

Downloadable via Amazon Kindle too.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weaver. US & European distribution by American Public Television
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

by Alex Udell on Aug 18, 2013 at 8:36:52 pm

Hi....

I've never used Vegas myself. I did have a friend or two involved in Vegas product development. I had a look at it. At it's roots, it's really based on Sound Forge so it translates a lot audio conventions into a video workflow (overlapping creating dissolves, looping of clips, etc.)

This makes it pretty unconventional as far as NLE's are concerned.

This isn't to say that's a bad thing. Lots of that stuff is pretty cool. But many of the norms you take for granted coming over from Vegas probably won't be found in PPro right off the bat.

My guess is if you can convince your fellow Vegas users to start adopting Ppro...and you can make enough of a ruckus for features you miss.....Adobe will respond.

In it's current incarnation PPro has adopted a lot of FCP, and Avid characteristics and even made them better or more modern. So anything is possible with this team!!

:)

good luck!

Alex

by Daniel Peterson on Aug 19, 2013 at 2:46:15 am

Hey Vincent,
Enjoy learning Pr CC, I've found it great to use. Using thumbnails, hoverscrubing and the trim tool sound like it will be perfect for you.

I doubt you will find too much on specifically transferring from Vegas to PrPro, but if you are willing to spend, in the past I've found Lynda.com tutorial helpful... they cover almost everything
http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Pro-tutorials/Premiere-Pro-CC-Essential-Training/128284-2.html

I'd also check out Adobe TV's video's for a start http://tv.adobe.com/product/premiere-pro/ Seeing as they create the software, they do have some clear and insightful tutorials.

In terms of effects, not being a Vegas user I don't know exactly how they compare, but it might be worth you checking out FX factory http://www.noiseindustries.com/fxfactory/

If your looking for more effects and control CC includes After Effects, the problem though is that there is a bit of a learning curve involved with After Effects.

I don't know a way of adding the default transition like your saying... but you can use the shortcut Ctrl+D on windows to add your default transition quickly... also if you select multiple clips, you can use Shift+D to add the default to multiple transitions.
Shortcuts are gold... http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts-cc.html

Hope some of that helps.

Cheers
Daniel

PS. If you have a moment jump over to http://www.thedigitalslice.com I'm in the process of gathering data and getting the site rolling.

Filmmaker // Motion Graphic Artist
www.saltmedia.net

www.thedigitalslice.com (beta) - Seeking clarity in digital post production.

by Rex Brown on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:33:01 pm

I feel your pain.

I used to use Premiere many years ago- like maybe version 5? Once I spent a few hours with Vegas that was the end of that.

We're now adopting Adobe Creative Cloud at work- so I'm attempting to make the switch to Premiere. A resource to help with that transition would be great! But I guess Vegas is still sort of an also-ran in the world on NLEs.

For now I'm finishing up current projects in Vegas and dabbling in Premiere. I'd forgotten about transcoding footage and sequences and such. Eventually I'll make the switch- but it won't be easy! Vegas makes so many tasks so dang quick and easy.

"The emptiest boxcar always makes the most noise."

Maduko World Headquarters

by Vincent Levalois on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:50:36 pm

Yeah I'm finding it impossible to do the simplest of things like crossfade two clip by dragging one over an other and boom, it's done in Vegas but in Premiere it's drag a transition over the edit point, etc. -- A major pain in the butt!

Not sure I'm going to make the switch with this much tediousness. :(

by walter biscardi on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:10:57 pm

[Vincent Levalois] "Yeah I'm finding it impossible to do the simplest of things like crossfade two clip by dragging one over an other and boom, it's done in Vegas but in Premiere it's drag a transition over the edit point, etc. -- A major pain in the butt!"

Does any NLE do that? FCP doesn't. I don't think Avid does. Never heard of this feature quite honestly.

One word of advice. Premiere Pro is NOT Vegas. If you want to learn how Premiere Pro works, then keep going. If it's too tedious for you, then move on to another app. I had 11 years on FCP and then had to move to Premiere Pro CS6. CS6 was VERY clunky compared to FCP but we pushed through because the native workflow was so fast. Now CC is MUCH improved in efficiency over CS6 and we're moving all manner of broadcast, documentary and corporate work through the app. We work with the app the way it was designed.

So either adapt your workflow to Premiere Pro or go find another NLE that better suits your workflow. You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep comparing Vegas to Premiere.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Southeast Creative Summit, Oct 25-27. Register Now! Save with code: creativecow2013
Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weaver. US & European distribution by American Public Television
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

by Vincent Levalois on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:24:07 pm

I'm very aware that Premiere Pro is not Vegas and I understand that PP is considered to be a more "professional" tool as well. However, my needs are not that of a major production house doing big dollar jobs. I'm mainly looking to learn it to remain versatile and relevant all the while understanding the differences between solutions.

It's only natural to compare one thing to another when you move laterally between apps like this. I'm used to doing something as seemingly simple as cross-fade one clip to another by dragging one clip over the other and letting the app produce an automated fade based on defaults I've preset. I do that a lot because of the nature of a lot the work I do, which is to take dozens of short clips (High School football plays for example) and combining them to produce a video composed to music, with slow downs and speed ups, effects, etc. I know that PP can do everything I need it to do and more I'm sure, but the very first thing I try to do with PP is a drag and cross-fade and it can't do that. Bummer for me I know, and I have had to learn how to do that all over again in PP based on its workflow, but it also means that it would take me MUCH longer to accomplish the same result, that's all. Now I've learned one of its limitations for my purposes and I can move on to learning the next thing.

Again, I'm not choosing apps, I'm just learning about a new one to a) see if it's easier to use and switch and b) learn something new.

© CreativeCOW.net