Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
On a deadline & my Premiere project will not open
On a deadline & my Premiere project will not open
by Steve Martin on May 16, 2013 at 3:59:52 pm

Hello COW friends,

I've been working on a project for the past week or so without incident and now that I'm ready to export the finished program, I can't open the project. I get the following error screen:

I've been editing on the same laptop the entire time - so I'm not sure what codec or preview preset it's looking for.

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Re: On a deadline & my Premiere project will not open
by Joseph W. Bourke on May 16, 2013 at 4:37:38 pm

Steve -

Have you tried importing your problem project into a new project? That sometimes works...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
www.bourkemedia.com

by Kris Merkel on May 16, 2013 at 4:50:24 pm

If Joseph's recommendation doesn't work, another thing to look at is to see if all the drives that contain media for your project have mounted correctly. If a drive becomes unplugged before ejecting it will sometimes mount with the same name but in the directory structure it will include a suffix such as "Drive 1(2)"

If that is the case you will just need to rename the drive to the original. May be a long shot but worth a look. You can also try to clean your media cache and repair your drive permissions if you are on a Mac.

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

by Kevin Monahan on May 16, 2013 at 4:46:44 pm

Hi Steve,
Sorry that happened. Try this: Help > Deactivate, Restart Premiere Pro, Help > Activate
Let us know if that works.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

by Steve Martin on May 17, 2013 at 10:37:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Kevin,

As you can see from my post below, it seems that you're right. It was a licensing issue - but I hope you'll share my extreme displeasure per my post below with Adobe.

Thanks,
Steve

by Tim Kolb on May 16, 2013 at 5:37:30 pm

This kind of thing is usually from moving a project from a machine that has a 3rd party workflow (back when AJA/BM/Matrox used to havetheir own sequence settings for instance) to a machine that doesn't have them installed...

Premiere Pro thinks it's looking at a project that uses a preset it doesn't have. You can get these to import to a new project and get it to work sometimes...it will warn you and then drop into a generic "custom" sequence setting that usually works...

So...you're on the same computer? Have you loaded any updates? Is it a trial installation?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

by Steve Martin on May 17, 2013 at 5:17:18 pm

Hi Tim,

Yes, everything was done on the same computer and I do not have a trial version.

Everything is working now and I've completed the project. However, I fear that some (many?) on this forum may not like my conclusion of what happened here. Kevin's post above may be the clue.

A few days ago I got a Creative Cloud warning that my subscription was due to expire. When I logged into my CC account, I saw that my credit card payment didn't go through. I had forgot to update it after a recent fraud attempt and the bank gave me a new account. So, that was my mistake, for sure.

So I tried to update my credit card info on Adobe's site. However, I got an error that said, "Something went wrong on our end, please try again later." But it also said that my account was being transitioned to a "free account through June {I don't recall the exact date, but it was about a month away}." I'm not sure what that meant but I assumed this was some kind of grace period to get my account up to date. This was on Wednesday evening.

On Thursday morning (yesterday) I had forgot to try to update the credit card info before I jumped into the project. And that's when I got the error. I also learned that someone else in my studio had the exact same problem with another project.

So it would seem that the fear/concern/angst that some have expressed is not unwarranted. Please know that I am not a "cloud basher" and have embraced the business model and (at least the current) pricing model. However, the implementation can have holes. And while my situation is a combination of elements that led to the gnashing of teeth yesterday may not be the norm, it's hardly "Power Ball" odds I can see this (or something similar) happening to others.

What really annoyed me more than anything was that the error wasn't honest. It should have said that my account was deactivated or something so that I wouldn't chase my tail. I lost many critical hours because of the mis-direction. Major fail Adobe!

I fully take responsibility for not updating my credit card info. But I didn't think that you'd shut me down after just a day or two. What if I was away from email for a few days. Or if my email server had gone down and the message never got to me. Another major fail Adobe. A few days isn't reasonable enough notice.

So all-in-all, the story ended OK for me and my project deadline. But let this be a cautionary tail to my friends on this forum: Make sure your cc is up-to-date on the CC. And more importantly for Adobe: Don't screw with my ability to serve my clients! I and others on this forum will drop you like we did Apple.

by Jon Hiseman on May 17, 2013 at 6:06:14 pm

Exactly the same situation here and I have posted about it. I get this "sequence cannot be opened error" any time I go to an authorised computer that has not been used for editing for a couple of weeks( two weeks in the studio and I don't use the laptop - 3 weeks away and I don't use the Studio Mac Pro.) And it happened when my CC was cancelled as a fraud precaution. There is no correct message and absolutely no leeway given. Since I signed up to the cloud first month it was advertised I would expect better - much better.

I used to be Jon Hiseman but I'm feeling better now.

by Kevin Monahan on May 21, 2013 at 12:04:03 am

This sounds more like an activation error. Just do what I outlined above and you should be good to go once more.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

© CreativeCOW.net