Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Premiere/Prelude crossplatform project sharing
Premiere/Prelude crossplatform project sharing
by Jeff Handy on May 3, 2013 at 6:05:48 pm

Although I love what Adobe is doing with Adobe Anywhere, because we already use a SAN, I have to wonder if we can get the job done sans Anywhere.

We use 6 Macs on XSAN for online editing and an in-house-made tool we call EDL Pro for offline editing. That tool isn't frame accurate, however, but it works with proxy files. So we have to tweak each edit that comes our way - many hundreds per day. On top of that, we have to re-link the media since we are working with the online media vs. the proxies.

Our hope was to use Prelude as our offline editor. When we do that on a PC, then open either the timeline (via FCP) or the Prelude project, the timeline goes away, apparently because the media is offline. (?)

Even working from a share on our SAN, because we are working with the online media vs. the offline, we have to re-link. Is there no way to make this work right? I'm sure we're just doing something wrong. Does Prelude use a relative path for the media, or is it absolute? If it could be made to use a relative path, I'm relatively sure we could make this work.

HandyGeek

Re: Premiere/Prelude crossplatform project sharing
by Walter Soyka on May 3, 2013 at 6:40:41 pm

Jeff, have you seen ReLink ReTooled [link]? It may be nearly perfect for what you need if you export XML out of Prelude.

I wrote an in-house tool to help translating paths for relinking in Premiere projects, but I haven't tested it in a Prelude workflow, and I don't think I'll have much use for it with Premiere Pro Next's overhauled relinking anyway. We can talk about that a bit offline if you like.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Re: Premiere/Prelude crossplatform project sharing
by Angelo Lorenzo on May 3, 2013 at 6:48:01 pm

The issue is that Windows uses drive letters as mount points while Mac uses /volume/..... as it's mount point. Premiere and AE are fairly robust about linking projects that sit in or around it in terms of relative subfolders; if you have your project files on your system or another network drive or another folder structure, then this is what really forces Premiere to relink. I can only assume Prelude would operate the same way.

I would not consider Prelude an offline editor. It is a tool for logging and producer's assemblies. Prelude uses one track of video, no gaps, no second system audio, and so on... introducing it for your uses may be slowing you down.

I would wait it out as CS7 (days away) should have superior tools for relinking. Short of that, something like reTooled's reLink may be an alternative to your in-house solution http://www.retooled.net/?page_id=784

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

© CreativeCOW.net