Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Which Nvidia card should I choose?
Which Nvidia card should I choose?
by Tim Allison on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:13:47 pm

We are looking at switching to Premier Pro CS6. We want to make sure to maximize all of the capabilities of the Mercury Playback Engine. We presently have a MacPro3.1, 8-core, 3.2 GHz processors, and 16 GB RAM. The Nvidia Quadro 4000 is Mac approved, but is expensive, and appears to be an "oldish" card. Another guy recommended a Nvidia GeForce GTX 570. While this card is not yet approved for Macs, this guy did a minor hack to make it work. It is a newer design and is cheaper than the Quadro 4000. Any other card I should consider?

Re: Which Nvidia card should I choose?
by Hoss McDonald on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55:01 pm

Great Question but I don't know the answer either. I'm going to upgrade my PC this year and can't find any reliable video benchmarks comparing GeForce GTX cards to Quadro cards. I read that the floating point capability of Quadro's are vastly superior (faster) as compared to GeForce GTX cards but if you can't process video faster who cares about feeds and speeds.
I'm not even sure standard video cards tests give fair comparisons between GTX and Quadro cards as it relates to real world video editing. Most tests I see are geared to high frame rates for gaming and Quadro's always come off poorly (for the money) in those tests. My SLI'd pair of GTX 480's do a good job but I would like to know that a single Quadro I might buy is actually faster than what I already own when I am using Premiere CS6, After Effects CS6, etc. If not I'll move these cards to my new PC.

Hoss the Volunteer Videographer

by Chris Borjis on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:51:41 pm

careful with modding the app to make an unsupported gpu work.

some have had success, others very odd technical problems.

Your safe bets are:

Quadro4000 - yes a bit expensive, but works and works well. CS 6 workhorse.

GeForce GTX 285 - cheaper if you can find one. works well, almost as fast as quadro4000

I was planning on the GTX 285, then decided the Quadro was worth the extra money.

After using it for 6 months in 2 different edit suites, I'm glad I got that one.

by Tom Daigon on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:46:27 pm

I have recently heard great reports from tests conducted with the GTX 570 for best bang for buck. Fast performance in both PrP and AE.
See for yourself..

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1019643

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

by Chris Borjis on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:59:52 pm

I like the report, but its for Ray Tracing in After effects.

Does that equate to Mercury Engine performance on par in premiere?

by Tom Daigon on Jun 29, 2012 at 12:30:35 am

Here you go Chris..

http://ppbm5.com/

Tom Daigon
www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

by Joseph W. Bourke on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:34:04 pm

Here's some more information which I just posted on my Blog yesterday, with links to some very useful tests done by Studio 1 Productions:

http://bourkemedia.com/cs6-nvidia-card/

It details my own experience with a GeForce GTX 260, and how I customized Adobe's card list text file, plus it has links to very detailed information on performance of the various Nvidia cards. It was not difficult at all to do the file change.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
www.bourkemedia.com

by Fernando Lopes on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:10:37 am

Hey Tom,

If is not asking to much, and I know that this is an old post, but your system is very similar to mine and maybe you can help me make a very informed decision here.

I am have a macpro 3.1 SSD120 will upgarde to OWC SSD 240GB 16gb ram running a gt120 with a gtx285 video card on OSX 10.6.8. will upgrade to mountain lion in the next few days. May dilemma is, I would like to run AE CS6, Davinci Resolve 9, Final cut Pro but looking to change either to Smoke2013 or Premier Pro CS6 and also will be going to school to learn and use Maya. I was ready to buy the QUADRO 4000, but I call Blackmagic today to get an idea if the Quadro was the best for it and the Support person suggested the GTX680 according to him it runs without any need for change on macpro and is faster then the quadro.I look at the specs on NVidia site and the GTX Seems more powerful, but i am concern with compatibility issues is a gaming card and is it really faster when it comes to After effects, because I pretend to be using After effects more then any other program. What is your advice if I am to run all this program should I get the GTX680 or the Quadro 4000? and if possible please let me know why you think that is the best option. Thank you in advance.
Regards

by Tom Daigon on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:47:11 am

Hi Fernando. Ive actually moved on to an HP Z820 from the old Mac Pro.

But in making the move I was faced with a graphics card decision as well.
After studying some benchmarks using various cards with AEs raytrace engine, and comparing costs. I choose to go with the GTX 570. It runs faster then the Q4000 and is at least half the price. Now I dont know about Maya, but Im using it with Blender 2.65 and the software is greatly accelerated. Again, I know nothing about what Smoke needs so I would say do some research there. But all things remaining the same. the 680 seems like a better bang for buck then the Q4000.

Heres some more info that may help you in your decision. Good luck!

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1021085

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1019643#1019643

Tom Daigon
www.hdshotsandcuts.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPrG3WUyz8
(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

by Alex Gerulaitis on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:58:34 am

[Chris Borjis] "I like the report, but its for Ray Tracing in After effects.

Does that equate to Mercury Engine performance on par in premiere?"

The short answer is "no", and from what I am seeing, the GTX-680 is the fastest card for Pr purposes, unlike for Ray Tracing ones.

It also seems that PPBM5 focuses more on benchmarking whole systems rather than individual components, and thus isn't a great source for figuring out which GPU is best for Pr.

E.g. all I see (on PPBM5 site) is the "MPE gain" chart (2nd one, "Mercury Playback Engine gain") which while does help a little, is not really a proper GPU-specific bench test but rather a statistical table.

Studio 1 test is the proper test on a fixed system, and it shows the fastest card being GTX-680, the slowest - GT-240, with the delta between them in the 25% range for timeline render, and in the 100% range (twice as fast) in MPEG export.

To me it means, get the least expensive card suitable for your system if your don't encode a lot; and if you do, the GTX-680 is the best choice by far.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

by sean pollaro on Jul 4, 2012 at 8:08:30 pm

I bought the quadro 4000 and it was a huge piece of crap. the mpe in pp cs 5.5 only worked about half the time. the other half it would just freeze up. There was also weird shredding of the image in the canvas on playback in fcp 7. also a lot of colorista render errors started to occur after installation..I came running back into the arms of my factory ATI RADEON card and everythings been back to normal since but no GPU acceleration in Premiere ;(..So I returned the quadro and I'm now waiting for a better solution...

by Tom Daigon on Jul 4, 2012 at 8:29:00 pm

To offer a different perspective, I have the Quadro 4000 for the Mac. It has been a solid performer with no issues whatsoever. It is a bit over priced if you are just using it for PrP and AE.

As I leave Apple behind and switch to a HP Z820 PC, I will be running the Nvidia PNY GTX 570. Better performance and better BFTB.

Here are some helpful statistics.

For AE performance
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1019643

For Premiere performance
http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-1.php

Tom Daigon
www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

by Cara Myers on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:51:35 pm

Hi There!

I appreciate this insightful thread so much!

I am working on a 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 14 gigs of RAM and the ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB Graphics Card. As for displays I have been working with two 24" Samsung Syncmaster B2430's side by side. And, coming from working in Final Cut Studio 7 for 11 years, I am now doing all of my video editing in Adobe Premiere Cs6 and am really happy with it as my new platform.

The ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB graphics card was doing great (absolutely no complaints) until I added a 55" Panasonic TC-P50GT50 55" Plasma television and a Black Magic Intensity Card to run HDMI out to it. Now, I'm getting quite of bit of lag/delayed lip sync out of the Plasma and have narrowed it down to the Graphics Card as being the issue, which was quite a disappointment because I bought it specifically to run 3 monitors out of! I am also hearing that the ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB graphics card is not able to utilize Adobe's Mercury Engine. Perhaps I just didn't really notice it until now.

Needless to say, I am now looking for a graphics card that can power my video out to the 55" Plasma and even 24" Samsung at the same time, which makes this thread particularly interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Quadro4000 or the GeForce GTX 285 would be the best solution or if there's another card I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance!

Cara

Cara Myers
Video Editor/Motion Graphics
vesperafilms.com
PLATFORM: Adobe Cs6
MACHINE: 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
RAM: 14 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
PCI: Black Magic Intensity Pro
Displays: two 24" Samsung Syncmaster B2430's
VIDEO OUT: 55" Panasonic TC-P50GT50 55" Plasma television

by Alex Gerulaitis on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:51:00 pm

Hi Cara,

[Cara Myers] "The ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB graphics card was doing great (absolutely no complaints) until I added a 55" Panasonic TC-P50GT50 55" Plasma television and a Black Magic Intensity Card to run HDMI out to it. Now, I'm getting quite of bit of lag/delayed lip sync out of the Plasma and have narrowed it down to the Graphics Card as being the issue, which was quite a disappointment because I bought it specifically to run 3 monitors out of!"

Is your plasma connected to the ATI card, or to Intensity?

How did you determine that the graphics card was the culprit? (From what I hear, an add-on video I/O card like Intensity is the one usually lagging behind preview on your main displays, and the issue is not graphics card related.)

[Cara Myers] "Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Quadro4000 or the GeForce GTX 285 would be the best solution or if there's another card I'm not seeing? "

Quadro 4000 is the best of them although it may not solve the lag problem, and will not drive three monitors.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

by Cara Myers on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:13:20 pm

Hey Alex!

Thank you for your reply and poignant questions. I am running the HDMI out to the TV via the Black Magic Intensity Pro. The way I came to the tentative conclusion that the video card was the culprit is because a knowledgeable buddy of mine has virtually the same machine, video card and all, and a slightly older model of the same TV but has the Matrox (I need to find out exactly which model--it was around $500) to run video out instead of the Black Magic and is having the same issue.

I opted to go with the Black Magic Intensity Pro card because I don't need all of the capture options the Matrox offers and was looking to save a chunk of change.

Any additional ideas?

Cara Myers
vesperafilms.com

by Alex Gerulaitis on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:35:35 pm

This may be a Blackmagic issue.

So for that reason alone, I wouldn't change the graphics card.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

by Cara Myers on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:23:08 am

I wanted to send an update as to my findings in regards to the lag and choking through running video out of the Black Magic Intensity card in the hopes that it can help someone else.

To put it simply, I was running my video output through the Black Magic Intensity card and running my audio through my line out, through the mixer and out through the speakers. Once I switched BOTH my audio and my video through the Black Magic Intensity card and started running audio of the the tv, I found that the video output playback was more efficient and the lip sync was spot on. I guess this should have been pretty obvious from the get-go (running both video and audio out of the same place), but for some reason I didn't realize. I also do want to note, though, that the card ran better with both audio and video running through it.

So, now the playback monitor in Premiere and the video output to the Plasma is very close, not perfect but close.

Also, once I called Black Magic, I learned that the Intensity Pro card by default has about a 3 frame processing time lag and HDMI has about a 2 frame lag also by default, which can add up to about a 5 or 6 frame lag.

I sincerely with Adobe Premiere Cs6 had a Frame Offset function in the preferences like Final Cut Pro did to make it all match, but from what I am seeing, it doesn't seem to. (Has anyone found anything different?)

Also, a friend was telling me that an HDSDI connection as with the AJA cards does not have the 2 frame lag that an HDMI connection has. Is this true?

Thanks in Advance

Cara Myers
vesperafilms.com

by Tom Daigon on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:19:15 am

Cara, I am running CS6 on a PC. I send HD-SDI video out of the Kona 3 card to a Panasonic engineering monitor. I take the analog audio out of the Kona 3 breadk out box and send to my speaker preamp which outputs stereo to studio speakers. I am running the 2 most recent AJA drivers on my system. I get NO delay between the playback on Premieres timeline montior and the external montior. It works perfectly.

I share that as an example of what you desire being possible with CS6.

Tom Daigon
www.hdshotsandcuts.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIg6h-LIm0
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

© CreativeCOW.net