Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
CS5.5 low quality video compared to CS5
CS5.5 low quality video compared to CS5
by Bogdan Boeru on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:01:48 am

Hello,

I just upgraded to CS5.5 and noticed a abrupt loss in quality. I can't figure out if it's a setting somwhere, I've ticked on and off most of them, but to no avail. CS5 works great, the image is sharp.

Here's what I'm talking about: Left is the original source, right is the timeline preview(if exported, it saves it like in the preview window).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Bogdan

Re: CS5.5 low quality video compared to CS5
by Clark Cooper on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:17:29 am

What have you tried or not tried? Mercury Playback Engine settings (assuming compatible GPU)? Are your export settings the same as they were before the upgrade? etc, etc?

by Bogdan Boeru on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:56:50 am

MPE is disabled (ATI HD4850), and the export settings are identical.

The problem starts as soon as I place the file on the timeline. As the photo shows, the source is a lot sharper, while the timeline footage looks like it has been downsized then upscaled back to 720p.

by Eric Jurgenson on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:46:04 pm

Maks sure the program viewer resolution is set to full (little triangle button in upper right of viewer)

by Bogdan Boeru on Feb 16, 2012 at 7:07:21 pm

Both Playback Resolution and Paused Resolution are set to Full. It's not a viewer problem, as the low quality appears on the exported video.

by Eric Jurgenson on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:19:32 pm

Are you exporting interlaced material as progressive?

by Bogdan Boeru on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:25:13 pm

It's progressive footage, 720p @23.976 fps (shot with Nikon D3s).

Even if I tick off "Use Previews" when exporting, the same low quality appears. It's driving me nuts, I can't understand why the source isn't identical with the one in the timeline... The Sequence is HDV 720p @ 24fps.

by John-Michael Seng-Wheeler on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:13:37 pm

What happens when you drag the clip onto the new item icon in the browser to automatically create a matched sequence?

by Bogdan Boeru on Feb 18, 2012 at 3:21:03 pm

This sorts it. The image is sharp again compared to the previous sequence.

The strange thing is that I created another simple "HDV 720p 24fps" sequence, and this is sharp also. I can't understand what went wrong with the first one.

Now I'll have to check my image when I start new projects, to see that it's identical with the source.

Thanks a lot!

Bogdan Boeru

© CreativeCOW.net