Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Nested timelines nightmare
Nested timelines nightmare
by Jaromir Pesr on Jun 30, 2005 at 11:22:33 am

Hi,
When I work with nested timelines in a project contains about 3 hours of raw footage, the more edits I make the slower response of Premiere Pro is achieving even the playback seems to be fine. I have to wait nearly several minutes to do a simple cut. My computer is fast enough, I can say fastest available: Dual Xeon 3,6GHz, 2GB of RAM, 1TB Raid 0 dedicated for data, nVidia Quadro FX 3400 graphic card.
It does not matter which source footage is used. It is the same within DV to HD.
I am not doing anything special, just following:
1. I build a timeline for a each (of three) raw 1hour long footage (captured as a single file)
2. I add a separate sound and synchronise it with a video. (There is just one track used for video without any edit and one track of audio edited to be in sync)
3. I used these three timelines as a source clips and editing them to the next "master" timeline.
When there is more then few (say 30) edits at "master" timeline and global lenght of it is about 10 - 15 minutes (and more), Premiere responses extremely slow down that it is becoming nearly impossible to work. I use no filters, no transitions just raw edits. The project is not so big (about 4MB) and even save command takes minutes to do. Just nightmare.

I have found that I'm not alone with this issue but do not read any official statement from Adobe site. This makes PPro completely unusable for serious work. I didn't noticed this behavior until I've used a nested timeline but in this case (when I need to sync an audio with raw footage) it is the only way to edit.

Does anybody knows anything about it?

Thanks for any advice (and forget my english)

Jaromir Pesr
IO postproduction
Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Nested timelines nightmare
by Aanarav Sareen on Jun 30, 2005 at 4:26:25 pm

Has the audio finished conforming? If so, delete all the CFA files and let PPRO conform the audio again. Also, try deleting all the rendered files.

Aanarav Sareen
Adobe Certfied Expert, Premiere Pro

http://www.asvideoproductions.com/video

by Jaromir Pesr on Jun 30, 2005 at 7:52:37 pm

Yes, audio has finished conforming and be sure that I tried to delete all preview and conformed files. It doesn't help. There must be some software bug in PPro. It is incredibly slow even the taskmanager shows just 25% of CPU activity. I have read at several forums that it is common thing when working on larger projects... I am just curious if somebody luckily have heard something from Adobe about it or found some reasonable workaround.
Thank you anyway

Jaromir Pesr
IO postproduction
Prague, Czech Republic

by Bill Buchanan on Jul 1, 2005 at 2:58:33 am

I believe it's up to Adobe to come up with the "work around," as in the next version being a truly professional-level editing app that can handle long-form projects. I am just starting the creative editing of a 2 hour doc, which has about 4,700 clips categorized in about 50 bins, using just under 4TBs of storage. I've created folders on the volumes/arrays representing every bin. The work around I will use is to generate a number of projects, each one representing a portion of the master project, importing only those folders containing the shots I might need for that particular project segment. I'm hopeful that by keeping the shot library as small as possible for each segment, editing that segment will not slow down as yours has (and mine has on previous shows).

Although my sys has 3gb of ram and the "pae switch" turned on whereby xp can use up to 4gb of ram (instead of just 2), adobe tech informed me that PPro can only address up to about 1.8 or 1.9 of ram.

I don't have a clue what PPro is doing while you/we wait for it to process a cut or change or whatever when the project reaches that 'magic' slow-down point.

I am, as I'm sure everyone else is who works in long-form, anxious for 64-bit apps, hardware, drivers, etc. to arrive. According to the techheads with whom I've spoken, that will resolve a great many issues that are making life difficult for the long-form crowd.

Bill Buchanan
Buchanan Film Co.

© CreativeCOW.net