Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Spilt the same clip into subclips and trigger simultaneously in multicam?
Spilt the same clip into subclips and trigger simultaneously in multicam?
by Luke Matthews on Dec 4, 2019 at 2:03:36 pm

Hello everybody,

I had a previous account here which wasn't that active but i got so much help through that and it's now a few years on that i come back with another request from this knowledgable community.

I thought what i wanted to do would be straightforwardish but it seems not. I suspect thats more my fault than APP. Basically:

I'd like to take the same clip of a person dancing and cut it into multiple clips at desired points, then trigger those clips at will over an audio track. at the moment i have been doing this in PP 2019:

Import the main clip. double click it and use the razor to slice it into desired parts. Highlight those cuts and make a subsequence of each. Highlight those in the browser window then "export media", go to encoder and export them all. go to file, import, select the encoded .mov version of each clip and import it back into PP, then highlight those clips in the PP browser and right click "make new multicam sequence", double click that. import an mp3 through the browser and drag to sequence. Go into program/sequence window, enable multicam playback, hit play and trigger the clips rhythmically to the music.

I can do all of the above fine but the problem comes when trying to trigger the clips sequentially. They only play as if they're still attached to the timecode of the original sequence.. for eg if im trying to trigger cut4 (00:30-35sec in master clip video) at any time in the new multicam sequence before :30sec, its a black screen on that clip. same with triggering cut1 (00:01-00:05 secs in master clip) at anytime after 00:05secs, its just a black screen.

ive spent many months googling and trying various methods but it seems theres no multicam method to easy triggering of clips from the same video over a song. im really surprised, i thought there'd be a huge market for that kind of straightforward feature ?!

Anyway, don't mean to hate on PP I really love using it.

Cheerio

LM

Re: Spilt the same clip into subclips and trigger simultaneously in multicam?
by Herb Sevush on Dec 6, 2019 at 1:08:00 pm

First of all you don't have to create new clips and then import them. Instead razor the clip, select that cut, then "create subclip". These subclips will become the elements of your multicam without doing the export/import step.

Next select the clips and then choose " create multicam" and chose either "in point" or "markers" to use as sync points; if you choose either time code or waveform you will get what you are getting now - multicams that are stretched out over the entire length of the original clip, as opposed to stacked the way you want them.

Finally once the multicam is made you can right click it, then choose "open in timeline" and slide the various clips around to perfect the sync if you are not satisfied with the way they were originally aid out.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

by Herb Sevush on Dec 6, 2019 at 1:11:13 pm

Also the phrase "trigger" the multicam is meaningless, it took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about. A multicam is not a gun, there is no trigger, it behaves like a source file, you can change an angle or replace a shot or make an edit.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

by Luke Matthews on Dec 10, 2019 at 5:23:28 am

Dear Herb,

My sincere thanks for your time in replying to my post. I take your point about the term "trigger", my bad for the confusion.

The way you have described is what I have been doing up til now except I had been highlighting my subclips, "creating multi cam sequence" and then "create new sequence" from the multicam source file. What happens then is, I get one clip in the program monitor but if I enable "multicam record" in the monitor playhead I can then use keys 1,2,3,4,5 etc to "trigger" or play each one of the subclips in the multicam source file. The problem is that the clips cant be triggered (sorry Herb!) at unique/random times as they play simultaneously regardless of which subclip is showing in the monitor. What this means is I can certainly trigger each subclip but once it has reached the outpoint it is just a black screen.

What I was hoping for was all of the above except the subclips wouldnt play until I triggered them and I could put an audio track in the timeline and then just randomly play them in sync to the track to my hearts content.

I did try your way using the multicam source file which worked different using the "open in timeline" instead of "create new sequence" and this imported all my subclips into the timeline. As you suggested I could then drag them around and duplicate, trim etc as needed. I was hoping there may have been a quicker and more rhythmic way to do it using triggers.

Thanks Herb, you are very kind to spend your time here helping people like myself out.

Regards,

LM

© CreativeCOW.net