Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
XAVC-S in Premiere Pro 6
XAVC-S in Premiere Pro 6
by kasimir zierl on Jul 23, 2019 at 6:57:41 am

Does Premiere Pro 6 handle XAVC-S files, I'm getting mixed messages that they don't run well in Premiere Pro and need to be converted before use.

Is this really the case?

Re: XAVC-S in Premiere Pro 6
by John Heiser on Jul 23, 2019 at 2:15:18 pm

The final version of CS6 shipped in 2012, while XAVC-S wasn't introduced until 2013. You may have a hard time with those native files in CS-6.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

by Shane Ross on Jul 23, 2019 at 4:51:47 pm

Even with a Premiere Pro version that supports that format, it's a highly complex format that will require lots of computing resources to cut native. Fast processors, high end GPU. If your machine is older, or just "OK," it's better to transcode to an editing codec, like ProRes or DNxHD

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by kasimir zierl on Jul 24, 2019 at 1:03:05 am

hmm,
so if I downconvert to prores, is there a way to upconvert the footage when I export the final video?

by Shane Ross on Jul 24, 2019 at 7:25:29 am

ProRes isn't a down convert. That's a full-resolution format. Finishing format. The data rate is higher, the files will be bigger. If you want to do offline/online cutting, that's...hmmm...well...not CS6's strong suit. Not really designed for that...later versions are.

Gonna have to stick to converting to a high res finishing format and editing with that...ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by kasimir zierl on Jul 25, 2019 at 3:08:01 am

Thanks for the advice!!

© CreativeCOW.net