Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Duplicating PP sequence and creating independent AE compositions per Seq?
Duplicating PP sequence and creating independent AE compositions per Seq?
by Liam Power on Jul 16, 2019 at 2:00:17 pm

Hi,

Fairly new to PP and AE and dynamic link. I am creating compositions in AE as text animation templates for PP sequences. I have created a sequence in a PP project that includes an array of different AE compositions with text editable in premiere.

I want to be able to quickly duplicate this sequence and quickly change text and the video clips for fast edit social shorts.

The problem is, when I change the text within the AE composition (in premiere) in one sequence it changes it in all other versions of the sequence. I realise that this does makes sense as it is one composition, but the only workaround I have found for what I need is to go through each AE composition within the sequence one by one, hit "Reveal in Project", duplicate it and drag it over the previous one to ensure it is independent per sequence.

This is extremely inefficient and basically undermines the point of a template in the first place. I hope I am missing something and there is a quick way to make an AE composition independent from the PP timeline? It kind of overlooks a huge potential benefit of having editable text in premiere if this isn't the case.

Any advice or tips hugely appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Duplicating PP sequence and creating independent AE compositions per Seq?
by Jon Doughtie on Jul 17, 2019 at 12:09:52 pm

Yes, that is one of the limitations you run into with that work flow. Personally, I am not a fan of dynamic link, but to each their own, of course.

What I do is build the first version of the element in After Effects. Then I send it to Media Encoder - I do *not* render it within AE. While the first version is rendering in Media Encoder, I can make the changes for my second version of the element and send that one to Media Encoder. Continue as many times as you need. Then drop in the finished renders (with better playback than dynamic link, I might add) into your PPro timelines. Done.

That is the workflow that makes me happy. But like I said earlier, to each their own.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

© CreativeCOW.net