Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Suggestions for removing video artifacts in Premiere?
Suggestions for removing video artifacts in Premiere?
by Richard Davis on Jul 12, 2019 at 10:54:29 pm

I have been using a Sony HXR-NX5U to record events without incident until recently when an artifact appeared in a video file. I set the record format to 1080 30p FX. The video file is in AVCHD format. The artifact appears on playback in camera. The artifact does not appear when the record format is set to 60i.

I am editing in Premiere Pro CC 2019 on a 27" iMac with OS High Sierra. I also have access to AE. So far I have tried adjusting the frame rate of the sequence and noticed that when I set the sequence at 15 fps the artifact will disappear for periods of time, but then also reappear in a constant manner (without flashing on and off) for periods of time, seemingly at random.

Here is an example of what it looks like in camera and on first import:
https://vimeo.com/347831740/e0ce9d037a

Has anyone seen this before? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. The clip is about 1.5 hours RT that I am attempting to salvage if possible. Many thanks.

Re: Suggestions for removing video artifacts in Premiere?
by Nina Lucia on Jul 13, 2019 at 1:45:22 am

Oof. Right across his face. What a shame.

I learned about this software on this forum called Refill. Might do the trick. I've never used it so can't vouch for it but it came to mind when I saw your footage.
https://revisionfx.com/products/refill/premiere-pro/
But it being right across his face is a tough one, might take some painstaking vfx work to make it look decent.

Good luck!

by Eddie Torre on Jul 13, 2019 at 4:57:26 am

Another method in AE that might ballpark it.

1.) Draw a rectangular mask to encompass the artifacting on your clip (eg entire width, 7 px high). Change mask to Subtract.
2.) With your clip selected, open the content aware panel, change fill method to Surface.
3.) Generate Fill Layer (try small work area rather than the whole thing)
4.) Fill layer will look okay in places, but tear in others.
5.) Take the fill layer and duplicate it. Gaussian blur it, opacity change etc.

Not a guaranteed solution, but might be a good first pass. There probably would be some problem areas still.

by Richard Davis on Jul 15, 2019 at 2:24:50 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I will take a look at both of them.

© CreativeCOW.net