Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
Relocating Premiere Projects and Corresponding Files
Relocating Premiere Projects and Corresponding Files
by Lauren Kaiser on Mar 21, 2019 at 2:59:22 pm

I could use some advice regarding archiving and relocating.

This is my situation, I am in the process of trying to relocate/archive several projects from a raid array to a network drive that has been set up for archival. On the raid array there are several folders and each folder contains an Adobe Premiere Project, the corresponding clips of raw footage and then the finished export.

I need to move the entire folder, but I was worried that just copying and pasting the entire folder might cause the project to not be able to find the source clips. Is this a valid concern if I am moving the entire folder? I will say I've done a few tests and everything seems to work have fine simply from copying and pasting, which is not what I expected.

What it comes down to is, is it okay to copy and paste the entire folder or do I need to use Project Manager? I'm only moderately familiar with using Project Manager, and while it seems simple enough, I have to relocate hundreds if not thousands of folders and projects so having to open each project and in many cases have to convert it so it is compatible with the newest version of Premiere and then go back and bring in the finished exported version is going to be a lot more time consuming than a simple copy paste.

If anyone can provide some insight into my predicament it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Relocating Premiere Projects and Corresponding Files
by David Roth Weiss on Mar 21, 2019 at 3:45:40 pm

If you simply want to archive the media, cutting a pasting will work, but if you want to archive Premiere projects that open with the media connected, that would pretty much require that you Project Manage, but keep in mind, it will NOT preserve your folder structure. Definitely read the manual on that section, and search for helpful video on YouTube before beginning.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

by Lauren Kaiser on Mar 21, 2019 at 9:30:27 pm

This is great advice, thank you so much David. I will definitely learn more about this tool before proceeding further.

Thanks!

by Oliver Peters on Mar 21, 2019 at 3:47:11 pm

Generally Premiere Pro is very good about relinking in the situation you describe. As long as everything is within your main project folder, then the relative paths stay the same.

Worst case - you may have to open the project file after you move the folder and relink the media. This would happen as you launch the file and it seeks to locate all media. However, that really isn't necessary until the next time anyone needs to open the project in order to do revisions. You could handle that the next time it's opened (only needed once). So you wouldn't have to do it with every project if you didn't want to.

You should be able to simply option+drag the folder to the new location and let it copy. Or use an application like Hedge to copy with verification.

Project Manager is good when you want to create a smaller archive version of your final sequence and not the whole project. Or if you have media spread all over the place. That way you could truncate the media to only that used in the final version. PM let's you 1) copy all used media in its entirety, or 2) copy/trim/transcode new media files that correspond to the length of the used clips in your timeline, with head and tail handles.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

by Lauren Kaiser on Mar 21, 2019 at 9:28:55 pm

Thank you Oliver, that is very reassuring.

I am very pleased to know that I should be able keep relocating files in this manner. I am fortunate that everything I'm relocating is well organized. Since the projects are saved in the same folder with their respective media it will make things much easier if I'm able to select a large number of folders at once.

In my tests I hadn't run into any problems doing it this way, but I started to wonder "what if." More likely than not these project files will not need to be opened again, but you just never know.

Thank you for your input!

by Oliver Peters on Mar 21, 2019 at 9:38:13 pm

[Lauren Kaiser] "More likely than not these project files will not need to be opened again, but you just never know"

Just as a precaution, you might also want to export an XML and textless, splittrack submaster file(s) of your hero sequence(s) from each project. That's to protect you in case, a) the project file becomes corrupt, or b) you decide to go away from your Adobe CC subscription, or c) some major project format change in the future that would prevent your file from opening correctly.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

by Todd Perchert on Mar 22, 2019 at 10:25:46 pm

I frequently archive by moving entire project folders from one drive to another and have no linking issues. Within my one project folder are several other folders with Project, Audio, Video, Graphics, AE. Everything keeps a relative path so it all loads up after moving it.
TC

© CreativeCOW.net