Adobe Premiere Pro Forum
XML from Resolve to Premiere, all clips start at 0:00
XML from Resolve to Premiere, all clips start at 0:00
by Jeremy Solterbeck on May 24, 2018 at 2:38:39 am

I found many issues with Premiere and XML on the forums, but not this one exactly.
I do a scene detection in Resolve with a single ProRes QT movie (a 3-cam switch I need cut into shots). I put it in a Resolve timeline, it's looking good, I export XML. When the sequence opens in Premiere, the cuts are all there, but every single shot begins at zero on the original clip. So essentially every shot in the imported sequence is the same shot, (at varying lengths). This seems like perhaps a timeline setting mishap in Resolve, but I've looked everywhere I know to look, and it is all correct.
This frame zero issue comes up in Premiere a lot for me though: whenever I option-drag a clip to replace another clip, it ignores the timecode of the old clip and puts in the new clip starting at zero (say if I want to replace AudioMix1 with AudioMix2).
Anyone else have this issue?

Re: XML from Resolve to Premiere, all clips start at 0:00
by Ann Bens on May 24, 2018 at 10:17:32 am

In the Preferences/Media there is an option for Timecode.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

by Jeremy Solterbeck on May 24, 2018 at 5:40:44 pm

That didn't have any effect. Seems like maybe it should though, as the XML is indeed importing the full clip back in.

by Brecht Debackere on May 6, 2020 at 2:37:15 pm

I'm running into this issue and have as of yet not found any solution. Did you by any chance figure out how to solve this?
What I did:
Resolve:
1. scenedetect video
2. add cuts to mediapool
3. switch to editing tab and add all the clips to a timeline
4. export as .XML (FCP7)

Premiere:
1. Import XML
2. Get a timeline with the correct video and cuts, but all of them starting indeed from 00:00:00:00

by Jeremy Solterbeck on May 6, 2020 at 7:15:01 pm

Hi - I've basically just avoided this workflow for three years now, even though I seem to need it several times a year. Have not heard a peep from anyone, on other boards either. I'm baffled why isn't anyone using this workflow and running into this problem? Cheers-

by Brecht Debackere on May 6, 2020 at 9:47:05 pm

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this and so far this works:

Once the scene detection is done, the clips are added to the mediapool and from those a new timeline is created, go to the 'deliver' tab and export the clips as 'individual clips'. Either preset on top seems to work (custom, Youtube, Premiere XML).
The Premiere XML option will generate an .xml which can be imported in Premiere, and which will automatically import the individual clips created.

Now, the kicker, when you select another preset, and export individual clips: go back to the 'edit' tab, and export the FCP7 xml. When importing this in Premiere, the same thing will happen. All the individual clips will be imported.

So... while this seems to work, it does feel like a work-around. I'd rather have the XML which only references the original file and makes the cuts as described in that XML... instead of having to export 100s of clips and import all of those in Premiere...

I'll compare the XML's generated in the 'faulty' one and the 'right' one to see if I can figure out what goes wrong there... For now though, this kind of works... But once the individual clips are exported, one might as well just load those up in Premiere and drag the whole lot in a sequence... no need for the XML anymore really...

by Jeremy Solterbeck on May 6, 2020 at 9:50:31 pm

Yeah, I've done the individual clips route. What I am doing mostly are these multi-hour live switches, and I need to not duplicate all the footage if at all possible. Thanks for the tip. Keep me posted. I've posted on Adobe and hear crickets believe it or not.

by Brecht Debackere on May 7, 2020 at 4:04:25 pm

I've done some little tests and came up with a solution in the form of a Python script.
You can get it here: https://gumroad.com/l/CUnOP

A little note: this will only work with scene detection done on 1 clip I think. I haven't tried detecting multiple clips and putting those all together on one timeline in Resolve. I've tested it with several movies, and so far it works like a charm. I've verified by putting the original file on a video track above and they line up perfectly.

Hope this helps you as much as it helps me!

www.autofasurer.net

by Brecht Debackere on May 9, 2020 at 10:33:08 pm

FYI, I've added an OS X and Windows app with GUI to make things easier.
I'm curious to hear if it worked for you though.

www.autofasurer.net

by Jeremy Solterbeck on May 9, 2020 at 11:57:38 pm

Copy that, amazing. I downloaded the one from the other day but haven't had a chance to dig up a project to test it. I'll grab this new one and let you know what I find later this week. Seriously, I'm so excited!

by Brecht Debackere on May 23, 2020 at 9:08:57 pm

Another little update. The script now allows for multiple scene-detected clips on one timeline.

www.autofasurer.net

© CreativeCOW.net