DaVinci Resolve Forum
How do I organize huge projects
How do I organize huge projects
by Mike Thomas on Jun 29, 2020 at 10:54:01 pm

I've been learning Resolve debating whether to switch to it from Vegas. About all I do are indie feature narratives. In Vegas I separate and work on each scene individually. The individual scenes are 'nested' into one master file so as I progress on one scene and save it, it saves that specific scene but also that scene within the nested master. When I'm done with each individual scene I can then open the nested master and the finished movie is all there together.

Is "nesting" something specific to Vegas or is there something similar in Resolve that I haven't discovered yet? If not then how do I work on 40-60 individual scenes then put them all together at the end?

Re: How do I organize huge projects
by Michael Gissing on Jun 30, 2020 at 12:01:02 am

Nesting in Vegas is compounding in Resolve.

by Mike Thomas on Jun 30, 2020 at 1:48:53 am

thanks. I'll look into that. And compounding works the same way then?

by Michael Gissing on Jun 30, 2020 at 7:28:27 am

[Mike Thomas] "And compounding works the same way then?"

I presume so. I'm not familiar with Vegas but the ability to compound a group of clips is very similar to the old Final Cut Pro 7 nesting.

by Marc Wielage on Jun 30, 2020 at 6:53:21 am

[Mike Thomas] "Is "nesting" something specific to Vegas or is there something similar in Resolve that I haven't discovered yet? If not then how do I work on 40-60 individual scenes then put them all together at the end?"
You should read "Advanced Editing in DaVinci Resolve," which is available for free on BMD's website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training

This is pretty mandatory reading for anybody moving to Resolve from another editing platform.

by David Baud on Jun 30, 2020 at 3:40:01 pm

I agree with Marc... between the free training resources provided by BMD and the very detailed Resolve Reference Manual, you should be able to find your answer for the best workflow that works for your project.

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
www.kosmos-productions.com

by Mike Thomas on Jun 30, 2020 at 9:57:15 pm

I'm currently going through an 8 hr. online tutorial. Just haven't gotten to "compounding clips" yet I suppose. I may end up staying with Vegas. Resolve is pretty cool but maybe too complicated for me. So many features that I don't really need which makes for so many buttons to remember! I can see why fulltime editors/colorists like it though. Thanks for the input.

© CreativeCOW.net