DaVinci Resolve Forum
Duplicate File Names - Transcoding in Resolve
Duplicate File Names - Transcoding in Resolve
by shilpa ku on Mar 20, 2020 at 7:30:12 pm

Hi,
I am transcoding footage in Resolve to edit in Avid. On a few of the shoot days, there are duplicate file names among the cards. I'm worried this will be an issue when relinking at the end of the project, as the source file name and tape name of these clips will be the same. Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks!

Re: Duplicate File Names - Transcoding in Resolve
by Marc Wielage on Mar 22, 2020 at 2:02:14 am

The workaround would be to avoid duplicate file names whenever possible, because this will kill you with any potential workflow. I would do something like manually adding an _001, _002, or similar name to the end of the file name, and do this to the original file and the transcode before editing starts.

For a lot of reasons, it's a good idea to avoid using cameras that don't name files correctly, because this can be an absolute trainwreck in post.

by shilpa ku on Mar 22, 2020 at 2:16:55 am

Thanks for the reply. Though I've heard it's a bad idea to rename raw camera files, especially MXF files? Do you know if that's an issue?

by Marc Wielage on Mar 22, 2020 at 3:22:40 am

Normally I would say it _is_ a bad idea to rename camera files, but that's why I qualified my remark to include a) unless you have duplicate file names and b) you do this before editing has started.

For more info, two books I would recommend on the subject:

"Modern Post: Workflow & Techniques for Digital Filmmakers"
by Scott Arundale
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Post-Workflows-Techniques-Filmmakers/dp/0415747023

"The Guide to Managing Postproduction for Film, TV, and Digital Distribution"
by Susan Spohr & Barbara Clark
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Managing-Postproduction-Digital-Distribution/dp/1138482811

by Damien Molineaux on Mar 30, 2020 at 6:42:40 pm

Hi,
It's a bad idea if you're using software that uses the metadata outside the mxf file itself, such as FCPX. I'm in charge of the workflow (and futur grading) of a 5 episode documentary series where the director is shooting himself with no assistant, result: there are a lot of duplicate file names. I use "Renamer" (MacOS) to rename all files, I add the day's date to all the files, which also helps for sorting the footage. This is done before sychronisation and ingest into Avid.
Cheers,

MacOS & Windows
Adobe CC / Davinci Resolve / Easy DCP
RED MX / DigiBolex / Sony FS5 / BMPCC4K

© CreativeCOW.net